Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Miscellany
Jump to new posts Re: read all aqbout it by jenny jenny @ 04/15/14 11:20 AM

Now listen up, boyz, you don't need no interjecting apostrophe to indicate any missing letters when using the plural term "yall" so don't clutter up your scripts with useless marks. If the need arises to futher pluralize this plural use the term "al
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts - - - -served in military, or, really qualified by LukeJavan8 @ 04/15/14 11:16 AM

- E VETERAN
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Tuesdays with Shakespeare by wofahulicodoc @ 04/15/14 09:47 AM

PORTIA PRONUNCIATION: (POR-shuh, -shee-uh) MEANING: noun: A female lawyer. ETYMOLOGY: After Portia, the heroine of Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice. Portia is a rich heiress who disguises herself as a lawyer to save Antonio's life. Earlies
Miscellany
Jump to new posts read all aqbout it by wofahulicodoc @ 04/15/14 09:15 AM

My spies tell me there are places where "Y'all" is standard second person singular; if you mean plural, it's "Y'all all".
Miscellany
Jump to new posts Re: Her/him, his/hers/ s/he or 'their(s)'? by Faldage @ 04/15/14 06:12 AM

Originally Posted By: jenny jenny Really now, Faldage? If you have spotted "you all" used as a singular (as you say) "in the wild" then apparently the boys were funning with poor Mister Faldage. And -as you well know- Standard English is not standar
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: I'm too weak .. by endymion6 @ 04/14/14 11:26 PM

GENERATE G ---- > V ..to pay respects to the holy of holies at this sacred time of year .. so can't VENERATE ..I blame it on what would ENERVATE
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts a bone a shoe a mailman a you by jenny jenny @ 04/14/14 11:11 PM

DOGMERRY - autodogmatic things that make a dog happy
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts an electrifying comeback by wofahulicodoc @ 04/14/14 10:55 PM

AGREEMENT drop M GENERATE
Miscellany
Jump to new posts Re: Her/him, his/hers/ s/he or 'their(s)'? by jenny jenny @ 04/14/14 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: FaldageWhile the "you-all" strategy certainly works if it is applied universally (which it doesn't; other strategies, such as "you guys" or "yinz" are used in other areas of the country, and "you-all" has been spotted in the wil
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts DOGBERRIES in inaction by jenny jenny @ 04/14/14 12:05 PM

COGBERRY - (1) a pompous, incompetent, self-important bureaucrat whose ineptness makes even the worse government programs worser. (2) a sebelius
Miscellany
Jump to new posts Re: Her/him, his/hers/ s/he or 'their(s)'? by LukeJavan8 @ 04/14/14 11:45 AM

bring back thou, thee, thine and the tribe
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts - - concord by LukeJavan8 @ 04/14/14 11:30 AM

I > T AGREEMENT
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: Ceci n'est pas une riposte by endymion6 @ 04/14/14 11:25 AM

C'est bon! Noah a dit, deux par deux (speaking of two-steps)
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Ceci n'est pas une riposte by wofahulicodoc @ 04/14/14 10:35 AM

speaking of animals, two steps gets us a MENAGERIE
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: A GRANDEE who's in it.. by endymion6 @ 04/14/14 09:49 AM

ENDANGER N ---- > M ..to win it is an ENDGAMER I hadn't heard about that tragedy; it's out of control
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts just plain Bill by wofahulicodoc @ 04/14/14 09:43 AM

DOGBERRY PRONUNCIATION: (DOG-ber-ee, -buh-ree) MEANING: noun: A pompous, incompetent, self-important official. ETYMOLOGY: After Dogberry, a constable in Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing, in which he goes about his blundering ways while mout
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts ...said the GRANDEE by wofahulicodoc @ 04/14/14 09:33 AM

ENRAGED (or DERANGED, if you prefer) add N (or D-->N; same outcome either way) ENDANGER is the result Irony: the two male shooting victims at the Jewish Comunity Center in Kansas yesterday, the grandfather and his grandson...were Methodists.
Miscellany
Jump to new posts Re: Her/him, his/hers/ s/he or 'their(s)'? by Faldage @ 04/14/14 05:57 AM

While the "you-all" strategy certainly works if it is applied universally (which it doesn't; other strategies, such as "you guys" or "yinz" are used in other areas of the country, and "you-all" has been spotted in the wild being used as a singular) i
Miscellany
Jump to new posts Re: Her/him, his/hers/ s/he or 'their(s)'? by Tromboniator @ 04/14/14 01:45 AM

What bothers me when someone uses the singular they is that they uses the plural verb form. If they wants to keep the language as clear and logical as it is now, they has to be consistent in their singular-plural inflections you get what I'm saying
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: Elegant's one thing, but .. by endymion6 @ 04/14/14 01:35 AM

ENLARGE L ---- > D ..when a GENERAL gets all the glory, I get ENRAGED ... but don't think I'm loony enough to go off at Ft Hood like those who are D- ...- D
Miscellany
Jump to new posts Re: Her/him, his/hers/ s/he or 'their(s)'? by jenny jenny @ 04/13/14 11:14 PM

You quibble a problem long ago solved. And when I say "you" I mean "you all".
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Forum Stats
8688 Members
16 Forums
13783 Topics
213027 Posts

Max Online: 3341 @ 12/09/11 02:15 PM
Newest Members
efghij468263, csmoore, Jane Luckner, anjela, MR LOGOPHILE
8687 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
wofahulicodoc 76
LukeJavan8 62
endymion6 57
jenny jenny 46
Tromboniator 11
Faldage 5
Jane Luckner 1
MR LOGOPHILE 1
csmoore 1
Mercur10 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30

Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 2014 Wordsmith