Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts - - - hidden treasure? by LukeJavan8 @ 07/30/14 11:20 AM

-t CACHE
Q&A about words
Jump to new posts Re: The male counterpart of distaff by tsuwm @ 07/30/14 11:04 AM

actually, agnate is the more direct 'opposite' of enate. YCLIU.
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: It's the way she sashays ... by endymion6 @ 07/30/14 09:16 AM

RACHET R ---- > C ..around that gives her that certain, je ne sais quoi...comme on dit ... CACHET
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts RESTIVE down South is still refusing to go forward by jenny jenny @ 07/30/14 08:21 AM

restive PRONUNCIATION: (RES-tiv) MEANING: adjective: Restless, uneasy. ETYMOLOGY: From Middle French rester (to remain), from Latin restare (to remain standing). Ultimately from the Indo-European root sta- (to stand), which is also the sour
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts The fat indian then flew the coop without a... by jenny jenny @ 07/30/14 08:05 AM

TRACE recalled the stonefaced Nurse (add h) RACHET
Q&A about words
Jump to new posts Re: The male counterpart of distaff by birdie @ 07/30/14 05:06 AM

The antonym of distaff is agnate. Had it in a crossword puzzle. It is also in Websters 20th century dictionary, unabridged edition
Loanwords from German
Jump to new posts Re: your face is familiar...... by Bazr @ 07/30/14 04:29 AM

Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8Nope! My sheep comes from "The Little Prince' by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. The prince asks the pilot to draw him a sheep. It is a short French novel I used in teaching 2nd year French decades ago. My beautiful avatar i
Loanwords from German
Jump to new posts Re: your face is familiar...... by Faldage @ 07/29/14 07:06 PM

You got it, Bazr.
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: Shall we check for prints? by endymion6 @ 07/29/14 02:29 PM

CARTER - R ..without a TRACE
Loanwords from German
Jump to new posts Re: your face is familiar...... by LukeJavan8 @ 07/29/14 02:04 PM

Nope! My sheep comes from "The Little Prince' by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. The prince asks the pilot to draw him a sheep. It is a short French novel I used in teaching 2nd year French decades ago. My beautiful avatar is the work of Tromboniator on th
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts - - - -donkey? by LukeJavan8 @ 07/29/14 11:48 AM

B > C CARTER
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: Trade agreement by endymion6 @ 07/29/14 11:28 AM

BARREL L ---- > T BARTER
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts -over Niagara Falls in a by LukeJavan8 @ 07/29/14 11:15 AM

variant spelling of wobble -W BARREL
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts To be or not to be: OBSEQUIOUS by jenny jenny @ 07/29/14 10:17 AM

obsequious PRONUNCIATION: (ob-SEE-kwee-uhs, uhb-) MEANING: adjective: Behaving in an ingratiating or servile manner. ETYMOLOGY: Earlier the word meant obedient or dutiful, with no connotations of fawning. Over time it has taken a negative turn
Q&A about words
Jump to new posts Re: When an individual represents a group, in speech? by TitoMatito @ 07/29/14 10:14 AM

Yes, I think that must be it, although, so many specific words in English, I wonder if there's not one that's even more precise. Thanks, Faldage!
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: ..not sure I know what a wabbler is..maybe by endymion6 @ 07/29/14 08:41 AM

WABBLER B ---- > R ..i do; then again, maybe i don't..but i do know my little chickadee, my little t'rush, whenever she sang to me, was a WARBLER ... but never a BRAWLER
Q&A about words
Sounds like a variety of synecdoche.
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts sylvester by Bazr @ 07/29/14 06:01 AM

No cupie doll this time Jenny J. Thufferin` thuccotash! - M__ B____
Loanwords from German
Jump to new posts Re: your face is familiar...... by Bazr @ 07/29/14 05:45 AM

Just looked up what Faldage means: FaldŽage n.1.(O. Eng. Law) A privilege of setting up, and moving about, folds for sheep, in any fields within manors, in order to manure them; - often reserved to himself by the lord of the manor. Webster's Revise
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts to vacillate with indecision by Bazr @ 07/29/14 05:37 AM

RABBLE + W WABBLER
Q&A about words
Symbol A person, place, action, or thing that (by association, resemblance, or convention) represents something other than itself.
Q&A about words
Jump to new posts When an individual represents a group, in speech? by TitoMatito @ 07/29/14 01:49 AM

I'm trying to remember a word that I read many years ago. It describes a rhetorical device in which an individual is used to represent a group. For example: "It can help to understand the disabled user’s deeper values and needs." -- Represents all
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts - - - takes a riot by LukeJavan8 @ 07/28/14 10:01 PM

I > A RABBLE
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Few things speak gerbilish like a ... by jenny jenny @ 07/28/14 05:55 PM

GERBIL ...and few things are fibber than a woman (g to b) LIBBER
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: Few things are smaller.. by endymion6 @ 07/28/14 01:56 PM

BIGGER G ---- > L ..than your GERBIL
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Forum Stats
8717 Members
16 Forums
13802 Topics
214511 Posts

Max Online: 3341 @ 12/09/11 02:15 PM
Newest Members
Laban, birdie, mepallav, discopig, Byz
8717 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
Bazr 104
LukeJavan8 92
endymion6 91
wofahulicodoc 73
jenny jenny 65
A C Bowden 31
Faldage 7
Tromboniator 7
tsuwm 2
zmjezhd 2
Top Posters
wwh 13858
Faldage 13803
Jackie 11609
tsuwm 10514
Buffalo Shrdlu 7210
AnnaStrophic 6511
LukeJavan8 6317
Wordwind 6296
of troy 5400
BranShea 5282

Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 2014 Wordsmith