Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts In search of Perfect Words by jenny jenny @ 59 minutes 1 second ago

incorrigible PRONUNCIATION: (in-KOR-i-juh-buhl) MEANING: adjective: Incapable of being corrected or reformed. ETYMOLOGY: From Latin in- (not) + corrigere (to correct). Ultimately from the Indo-European reg- (to move in a straight line, lead, or
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Rabble-rousers are people too. by jenny jenny @ Yesterday at 10:25 PM

Thank you A.C.Bowden, you seem to have leapfrogged over "clever" and landed on "brillant" even while seemingly making your wording as easy as A.C.B. Thanks from all. PENDULUM PERFORM
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts In search of quality education by jenny jenny @ Yesterday at 10:07 PM

PETULANE - the bad temper of students who find they have been rejected by Tulane and so must attend Harvard instead.
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: I'm TEARING up... by endymion6 @ Yesterday at 06:20 PM

GRANITE A ---- > S ...they made me go on stage when I thought I should have been RESTING ... but then a bee got in to my dressing room ...ooh!
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts - - - fodder for Michelangelo by LukeJavan8 @ Yesterday at 12:35 PM

I > A GRANITE
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts no concept at all by wofahulicodoc @ Yesterday at 12:25 PM

...and going back to March 31: INTERREGNUM--> INTERPREGNUM - the time between babies
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts can July Fourth be far behind? by wofahulicodoc @ Yesterday at 12:22 PM

TREEING One firecracker is an INTEGER. How do we light it? With an E-->I IGNITER
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts - - -what my dog does to squirrels by LukeJavan8 @ Yesterday at 12:06 PM

F > T TREEING
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: Those who in days of yore, when setting out.. by endymion6 @ Yesterday at 09:53 AM

FOREIGN O ---- > E .. for foreign shores, If to shore they were keeping, would their sails be REEFING Sidebar? ...Is one who FEIGNS a FEIGNOR?, asked the cagy lady in the PEIGNOIR
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts in recognition of the Paschal season by wofahulicodoc @ Yesterday at 09:05 AM

PETULANT PRONUNCIATION: (PECH-uh-lent) MEANING: adjective: Bad-tempered; cranky. ETYMOLOGY: [From Latin petere (to seek, assail). Ultimately from the Indo-European root pet- (to rush or fly), which also gave us feather, petition, compete, pe
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: Rabble-rousers by A C Bowden @ Yesterday at 08:48 AM

Some ne'er-do-well, wild rhetoricians In bad economic conditions Attempt to cause strife To Nazify life And further their sordid ambitions. PENDULUM PERFORM
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts what are friends for, anyway? by wofahulicodoc @ 04/23/14 10:03 PM

I thought UNFIRED was going to go to FRIEND, and here FRINGED could go there too. But who am I to point a FINGER at anybody? The concept is (D-->O) FOREIGN to me.
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re:The surrey with .. by endymion6 @ 04/23/14 09:21 PM

FIGURED U ---- > N ...that stuff on top was FRINGED ... but when I thought FREUDIAN could go to UNFRIEND (what we do for FACEBOOK, apparently), then it was UNFIRED that would have been next
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: IMPECUNIOUS by wofahulicodoc @ 04/23/14 06:31 PM

Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: IMPECUNIOUS by Tromboniator @ 04/23/14 05:00 PM

IMPETUNIOUS - Not at all resembling Porky's girlfriend. Oops. Hi, Wofa.
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: IMPECUNIOUS by wofahulicodoc @ 04/23/14 04:54 PM

IMPETUNIOUS - gotta lotta P. hybrida growing in my garden. (Did you know it means "tobacco" in a Tupi-Guarani language? Neither did I. Where would we be without Wikipedia...) IMPECURIOUS - sounds like saying the same thing twice, doesn't it?
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts - don't tell me what I mean, let me do it alone by LukeJavan8 @ 04/23/14 04:29 PM

UNFIRED N > G FIGURED
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts IMPECUNIOUS by jenny jenny @ 04/23/14 09:22 AM

impecunious PRONUNCIATION: (im-pi-KYOO-nee-uhs) MEANING: adjective: Having little or no money. ETYMOLOGY: From Latin im- (not) + pecunia (money), from pecus (cattle). Ultimately from the Indo-European root peku- (wealth), which also gave us fe
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: A bombax word for Tuesday: BOMBASTIC by jenny jenny @ 04/22/14 06:14 PM

BOMBTASTIC - you da bomb, bro
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts sowing my wild oast by wofahulicodoc @ 04/22/14 04:15 PM

FREUDIAN E-->A to UNAFRAID might well be a dead end, but drop A UNFIRED is what my pots are before they go into the kiln (at least they still have a job...)
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: My slip is showing.. by endymion6 @ 04/22/14 10:23 AM

FUNDRAISE - S FREUDIAN Hope I didn't send us down another dead-end strasse
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: Many mettle-testers.. by endymion6 @ 04/22/14 10:02 AM

FOUNDRIES O ---- A ..are people who like to FUNDRAISE
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: A bombax word for Tuesday: BOMBASTIC by wofahulicodoc @ 04/22/14 09:44 AM

BOMBATTIC - the IED assembly line is upstairs under the roof BIMBASTIC - acting like a floozy, and proud of it, too (see also BOOBASTIC and BOMBUSTIC)
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts showing our mettle by wofahulicodoc @ 04/22/14 09:35 AM

UNIFORMED M-->S FOUNDRIES
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: That's a roger... by endymion6 @ 04/22/14 08:31 AM

CONFIRMED C ---- > U ..said the one who was UNIFORMED Let's do it one at a time ...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Forum Stats
8688 Members
16 Forums
13783 Topics
213067 Posts

Max Online: 3341 @ 12/09/11 02:15 PM
Newest Members
scrabnut, sa'a, csmoore, Jane Luckner, anjela
8688 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
wofahulicodoc 80
endymion6 59
LukeJavan8 58
jenny jenny 52
Tromboniator 13
Faldage 5
Mercur10 1
A C Bowden 1
Jane Luckner 1
MR LOGOPHILE 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30

Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 2014 Wordsmith