Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Loanwords from German
Jump to new posts Re: your face is familiar...... by Faldage @ Today at 07:06 PM

You got it, Bazr.
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: Shall we check for prints? by endymion6 @ Today at 02:29 PM

CARTER - R ..without a TRACE
Loanwords from German
Jump to new posts Re: your face is familiar...... by LukeJavan8 @ Today at 02:04 PM

Nope! My sheep comes from "The Little Prince' by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. The prince asks the pilot to draw him a sheep. It is a short French novel I used in teaching 2nd year French decades ago. My beautiful avatar is the work of Tromboniator on th
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts - - - -donkey? by LukeJavan8 @ Today at 11:48 AM

B > C CARTER
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: Trade agreement by endymion6 @ Today at 11:28 AM

BARREL L ---- > T BARTER
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts -over Niagara Falls in a by LukeJavan8 @ Today at 11:15 AM

variant spelling of wobble -W BARREL
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts To be or not to be: OBSEQUIOUS by jenny jenny @ Today at 10:17 AM

obsequious PRONUNCIATION: (ob-SEE-kwee-uhs, uhb-) MEANING: adjective: Behaving in an ingratiating or servile manner. ETYMOLOGY: Earlier the word meant obedient or dutiful, with no connotations of fawning. Over time it has taken a negative turn
Q&A about words
Jump to new posts Re: When an individual represents a group, in speech? by TitoMatito @ Today at 10:14 AM

Yes, I think that must be it, although, so many specific words in English, I wonder if there's not one that's even more precise. Thanks, Faldage!
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: ..not sure I know what a wabbler is..maybe by endymion6 @ Today at 08:41 AM

WABBLER B ---- > R ..i do; then again, maybe i don't..but i do know my little chickadee, my little t'rush, whenever she sang to me, was a WARBLER ... but never a BRAWLER
Q&A about words
Sounds like a variety of synecdoche.
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts sylvester by Bazr @ Today at 06:01 AM

No cupie doll this time Jenny J. Thufferin` thuccotash! - M__ B____
Loanwords from German
Jump to new posts Re: your face is familiar...... by Bazr @ Today at 05:45 AM

Just looked up what Faldage means: FaldŽage n.1.(O. Eng. Law) A privilege of setting up, and moving about, folds for sheep, in any fields within manors, in order to manure them; - often reserved to himself by the lord of the manor. Webster's Revise
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts to vacillate with indecision by Bazr @ Today at 05:37 AM

RABBLE + W WABBLER
Q&A about words
Symbol A person, place, action, or thing that (by association, resemblance, or convention) represents something other than itself.
Q&A about words
Jump to new posts When an individual represents a group, in speech? by TitoMatito @ Today at 01:49 AM

I'm trying to remember a word that I read many years ago. It describes a rhetorical device in which an individual is used to represent a group. For example: "It can help to understand the disabled user’s deeper values and needs." -- Represents all
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts - - - takes a riot by LukeJavan8 @ Yesterday at 10:01 PM

I > A RABBLE
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Few things speak gerbilish like a ... by jenny jenny @ Yesterday at 05:55 PM

GERBIL ...and few things are fibber than a woman (g to b) LIBBER
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: Few things are smaller.. by endymion6 @ Yesterday at 01:56 PM

BIGGER G ---- > L ..than your GERBIL
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts - - - -some smaller, some by LukeJavan8 @ Yesterday at 01:27 PM

D > B BIGGER
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: For that to happen... by endymion6 @ Yesterday at 01:24 PM

BRIDGE B ---- > G ..the contest'd have to be RIGGED
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts - - -e.g. Brooklyn, Golden Gate by LukeJavan8 @ Yesterday at 01:22 PM

If ye be an insect, it be a butterfly. +B BRIDGE
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re: Being a minute sooner made me feel an insect.. by endymion6 @ Yesterday at 01:18 PM

MIDGE M ---- > R ..but we forge on; meanwhile, my 'fave' song genre is still the DIRGE
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts - - - -minute insect by LukeJavan8 @ Yesterday at 11:30 AM

You beat me by five seconds, but it had not yet been sent to me as yet, gimlet was still there, you lucky guy.... -T MIDGE
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts Re:In the film 'The War Lords' a bad guy ... by endymion6 @ Yesterday at 11:25 AM

GIMLET L ---- > D ...referred as 'Sir Flea' to a character that was a MIDGET
Wordplay and fun
Jump to new posts - - - -spring brings snow.. by LukeJavan8 @ Yesterday at 11:25 AM

+N MELTING
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Forum Stats
8717 Members
16 Forums
13802 Topics
214480 Posts

Max Online: 3341 @ 12/09/11 02:15 PM
Newest Members
Laban, birdie, mepallav, discopig, Byz
8717 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
Bazr 112
LukeJavan8 88
endymion6 86
wofahulicodoc 84
jenny jenny 62
A C Bowden 33
Tromboniator 8
Faldage 6
olly 3
zmjezhd 2
Top Posters
wwh 13858
Faldage 13802
Jackie 11609
tsuwm 10513
Buffalo Shrdlu 7210
AnnaStrophic 6511
LukeJavan8 6308
Wordwind 6296
of troy 5400
BranShea 5282

Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 2014 Wordsmith