Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bingley Let's celebrate - 10/09/03 04:58 AM
A Korean member of another board I frequent has informed us that today (Thursday, if anyone is still mired in Wednesday) marks the 557th anniversary of the invention of the Korean alphabet. It was a public holiday from 1945 to 1990, though he didn't say why it no longer was. Don't you think the invention of the alphabet is an excellent reason for a public holiday rather than commemorating obscure politicos or not commemorating anything in particular but just deciding that it would be a popular day for a holiday?

He also provided us with a link on how it came to be invented: http://www.korea.net/learnaboutkorea/hangeul/hangeul01.html

Bingley
Posted By: Faldage Re: Let's celebrate - 10/09/03 12:24 PM
I share a room with two Koreans at work and I just turned around to wish them a Happy Hangul Day. I got a lackadaisical "Yeah" in return.

Posted By: shanks Re: Let's celebrate indeed - 10/09/03 01:46 PM
Bingley

My knowledge of scripts is limited, but Han'gul (or Hangeul, or however it is best spelled) has always seemed to me to be a very elegant script, and to that extent one of the finest in the world. Thanks for the website - I might make it one of my favourites. A good syllabic script, IMO, beats our alleged alphabet (the much-vaunted 'Roman') any day. (How's that for controversialism?)

cheer

the sunshine (also loves Devanagari) warrior

Posted By: Faldage Re: Let's celebrate indeed - 10/09/03 01:54 PM
beats our alleged alphabet

So, spell shanks in hangul.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Let's celebrate indeed - 10/10/03 09:20 PM

Not possible. About the closest one came come in Korean phonetic writing is ch'-ang-kuh-suh.

My own name gets a little distorted in Korean, much to the entertainment of those who try to write and pronounce it: Suh-tee-p'en Mo-roo.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Let's celebrate indeed - 10/10/03 11:00 PM
what we need's a "your name in hangul" website...

Posted By: dodyskin Re: Let's celebrate indeed - 10/11/03 03:48 PM
well the nearest I could get was ºê·¹À̵å , if you change shanks to blades but that is bad translation.

© Wordsmith.org