Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Katharine Hepburn - 06/30/03 01:51 AM
Just heard the news on another board...damn! I just got in from a songwriters show, and this is the first I heard. Her stature as an actress will always be considered one of the pinnacles of the American cinema, in fact, she was the American cinema, the definitive actress all others were and will always be compared to as a litmus test for their talent. Her legendary relationship with Spencer Tracy and onscreen chemistry a part of cinema lore for the ages. She was truly a giant of her time. A great actress in every sense of the word. The African Queen, an acting tour de force for her and Humphrey Bogart, will never lose its power or allure. None the less than Sir Laurence Olivier himself said that Kate Hepburn was the greatest actress film has ever produced...period. Loved Kate. Will miss her greatly. But she had a good life.

The Philadelphia Story, Bringing Up Baby, The Lion in Winter, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, On Golden Pond, and on and on and on....

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Katharine Hepburn - 06/30/03 11:36 AM
a loss to the world. a shining example of what it means to live...

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Katharine Hepburn - 06/30/03 11:38 AM
To be greatly mournes, WO'N; there is no doubt about that.

She gave me many happy hours in the cinema - and, fwiw, I rate her superb performance in The Lion in Winter above her excellent performance in The African Queen

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Katharine Hepburn - 06/30/03 11:48 AM

Sad to see her go, but I'm glad for video shops. It's going to be great fun to introduce my kids to her.

k

Posted By: Zed Re: Katharine Hepburn - 07/02/03 11:52 PM
She wrote a book about the making of The African Queen" fascinating read and pure "Kate". Unsparing of herself and others but never mean. Growing up she was one of my heroes for making her own decisions and living by her own rules.

© Wordsmith.org