Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Vernon Compton Signatures? - 08/02/01 10:02 PM
Could someone explain this Board's position on signature lines? I had assumed that they were not welcome, but then I noticed that Max is now using one. Is this a shift in policy, or is it something reserved for those who have made a certain number of posts?

Posted By: wwh Re: Signatures? - 08/02/01 10:16 PM
I have several times seen members recommending not using signatures. Only thing I can think of is that they think it makes replies take up space enough that there are fewer messages per page.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Signatures? - 08/02/01 10:30 PM
i think the main idea is that, however clever or entertaining a signature line is, it's only funny/clever/etc the first time around, or maybe the second...and after a while they can be just plain irritating hi, ASp!

max stated a week or so ago that -- for our convenience -- he would be adding a URL link to his site, to which he has recently been adding some more material.

it's a welcome exception to the unwritten rule =)

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 08/02/01 10:31 PM
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Signatures? - 08/02/01 10:37 PM
i find it pretty handy, max, since i can never remember the address.

i wish you'd reconsider.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 08/02/01 10:47 PM
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Signatures? - 08/02/01 10:49 PM
no way no way no way.

and btw, i noticed that nobody bothered to congratulate me on my elevation to "ADDICT" ~ i always knew loanwords from german would come in handy somehow. i'm still down some 280 posts, but i'll let the rest come naturally.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 08/02/01 10:57 PM
Posted By: consuelo Re: addict status - 08/02/01 11:00 PM
Congratulations, Cara dear!

consuelo
Posted By: Jackie Re: Signatures? - 08/03/01 12:55 AM
None of us other Pooh-Bahs have "taken it upon themselves to play fast and loose with the established conventions"
because, Dear Heart, none of has taken the amount of trouble for the benefit of all that you have. Bless you, my dear, and yes, I'd like to see a piccie of caradea on your site, too.

Posted By: nancyk Re: Signatures? - 08/03/01 01:27 AM
I'm with caradea (BTW, congrats). I find Max's signature line immensely convenient, so add my vote for retaining it!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Signatures? - 08/03/01 01:44 AM
yeah... keep it in there, max.

http://members.aol.com/tsuwm/
Posted By: Vernon Compton Re: Signatures? - 08/03/01 02:56 AM
Thank you all for explaining the situation, and thanks for the link to your site, tsuwm. I shall subscribe as soon as I have set up a replacement address, having just been told by Google that they are discontinuing support for "my-deja.com" accounts.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Signatures? - 08/03/01 04:28 AM
None of us other Pooh-Bahs have "taken it upon themselves to play fast and loose with the established conventions"
I take it back.

Posted By: jimthedog Re: Signatures? - 08/03/01 09:56 AM
Say, tsuwm, did we ever get your word sent to my new address?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: ??? - 08/03/01 12:02 PM
hey jim, are you still kicking your cat?

Posted By: Anonymous Re: *ahem* - 08/03/01 01:10 PM
I'd like to see a piccie of caradea on your site, too.

mmhmm. and the folks in hell would like a glass of ice water.

tell ya what.... you go first

Posted By: maverick Re: *ahem* - 08/03/01 01:26 PM
Congratulations on your addictions - get thee to a nunnery!

now, about that pic....

Posted By: jimthedog Re: ??? - 08/03/01 03:05 PM
I've never actually kicked my cat. You can ask my older brother about that. He chases our younger cat, and wonders why she hates him.
I would be insulted, but decided it would be easier to explain than get really mad.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: ??? - 08/03/01 03:36 PM
>I would be insulted, but decided it would be easier to explain than get really mad.

good, because I decided it would be easier to insult you than try to figure out why *I should know if "we ever [got my] word sent to [your] new address".

Posted By: jimthedog Re: ??? - 08/03/01 04:10 PM
Ok. Did you ever get that PM, asking about it? Or did I forget some piece of information you needed?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: ??? - 08/03/01 04:19 PM
sorry, I must have missed it. you can resubscribe through the normal path at the website -- I haven't seen any rejections from your old address either; thus my confusion.

Posted By: jimthedog Re: ??? - 08/03/01 04:44 PM
I'll try. It'll probably tell me to screw around with "mailing preferences", though.

Posted By: wordcrazy Re: *ahem* - 08/04/01 03:00 AM
caradea>>>>mmhmm. and the folks in hell would like a glass of ice water.

with the back and forth about your photo on the galleria, shouldn't that be "the folks in hell would like a mug of hot tea"?Congratulations, I enjoy your posts! I'm hiding this because I do not like my lateness in congratulating you, to show

Posted By: Vernon Compton Re: ??? - 08/04/01 07:19 AM
tsuwm, is your subscription an autoresponder? I emailed the address given yesterday, and haven't received any notification yet. May I ask you to add vernoncompton@myself.com to your list?

Posted By: wow Re: Graduation congratulations - 08/05/01 01:47 PM
Caradea, don't feel left out ... I managed to get to Pooh-Bah by sorta' sneaking up on it!
If you don't mention your ascendency and you just keep on keeping on and do not worry about the number of posts -- next thing you'll know : Pooh-Bah!
Belated Congratulations on your graduation.

Posted By: wow Re: Signature of Max Q - 08/05/01 01:55 PM
Dear Max ... please leave in your sigline ... for the computer idiots (me) it's a great help. Dear Heart, you wrote : I shall ask the High Priestess to intercede for me, to gain absolution. Never fear, it's not necessary - witness the answers! ...
I'm sure many wondered but it took a brave stranger to ask the question (Bravo Vernon Compton.) Stay with us VC!

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Signatures? - 08/05/01 06:45 PM
Well, put me down as really appreciating having the links to Max's and Tsuwm's sites in their signatures. It is a great convenience and I appreciate it.

© Wordsmith.org