Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AnnaStrophic International Mother Language Day - 02/21/01 07:01 PM
The United Nations has declared today (Feb 21) such. I'm having a little difficulty understanding the significance of this. Can anyone help me out?

Posted By: wow Re: International Mother Language Day - 02/21/01 07:05 PM
Sounds like they intend for each of us to speak in our native (Mother) tongue.
Should be an interesting day in Hawaii !!!!!
wow

Posted By: Father Steve Re: International Mother Language Day - 02/22/01 07:49 AM
I think it means that we were supposed to hug people and say things like "There, there. It will be okay. You are a good person. And I still love you."

Posted By: maverick Re: International Mother Language Day - 02/22/01 01:21 PM
"There, there. It will be okay. You are a good person. And I still love you."

Carry that sweet thought into court with you, Father - or is that not the Mother Language of the legal eagles?!

Posted By: of troy Re: International Mother Language Day - 02/22/01 08:49 PM
going off on a tangent-- why are somethings mother's (mother tongue) and other things father's (father's land)--

I was thinking of abstract things-- but some concrete things are often mothers or at least "she"-- ships are alway a she- but i think that is because captains where always "he".

Russia has a motherland-- but Germany has father land (heimat-- which i know doesn't quite mean fatherland, but is translated as such)and we have "mother of all battles", and "father time".

Posted By: wow Re: International Mother Language Day - 02/23/01 01:03 AM
ships are alway a she- but i think that is because captains where always "he".

Before wwh jumps in and steals my thunder ... here's an old World War II saying:
"Ships are called she because they are so expensive to keep in powder and paint."
wow

And mechanical things are always "she" because they work well whilst you pay them plenty of attention and give them the things that they like, but as soon as you turn your back on them they run amok!

ships are alway a she- but i think that is because captains where always "he".

Apparently ships are always "he" in Russian. Does this suggest that most most Russian ship captains were "she"?

© Wordsmith.org