Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm carving fowl - 01/29/05 06:24 PM
my spouse is listening to an audio book and learned that in days of yore (not so long ago in the USofA), when women were responsible for carving up the bird, some colorful terms were bandied about; she would:
thrust a chicken*
spoil a hen
break a goose
pierce a plover

(I see a potential to devolve into a food thread here, so please proceed with caution.)

*uncle bill suggests this may have been truss a chicken. does anybody have the hardcopy of "America's Women" by Gail Collins?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: carving fowl - 01/29/05 07:16 PM
as long as it's not choking the chicken. that's something different altogether...

more likely by yourself...

Posted By: Jackie Re: carving fowl - 01/29/05 07:18 PM
Carrying on, I'm afraid (told ya I'd get ya): this is an, um, interesting site, with some things funnier than others. Perhaps WW can enlighten us at least re: this:
BARBECUE: From the French term “barbe-a-queue”, meaning “from snout to tail”. The word was in use in Virginia before 1700.

http://www.hungrymonster.com/humor/Jokes.cfm?jid=54

Edit--eta!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: carving fowl - 01/29/05 07:18 PM
>more likely by yourself...

perforce, I am going to assume you actually meant "by oneself".

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: carving fowl - 01/29/05 07:25 PM
>oneself

yeah, yeah. I'm always putting my propositions in the wrong place...

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: carving fowl - 01/29/05 11:13 PM
From the French term “barbe-a-queue”

How do ones pronounce that last word?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: carving fowl - 01/29/05 11:44 PM
I'm wondering about the barbe = head part. Doesn't make sense, but I don't know the etymology here.

On a plain folk level, sans dictionary, I wonder whether the barbe part could have been the tusks of a boar's head that could have been barbequed in Virginia at some point in my beloved state's history and very likely in the 17th century. We do have a positively splendid inn in Charlottesville, Thomas Jefferson's territory, called the Boar's Head Inn.

Posted By: Jackie Re: carving fowl - 01/30/05 12:01 AM
Dr. Bill says:
online etymology dictionary has:
barbecue
1657, from Amer.Sp. barbacoa, from Arawakan (Haiti) barbakoa "framework of sticks," the raised wooden structure the Indians used to either sleep on or cure meat. Originally "meal of roasted meat or fish," modern popular noun sense of "grill for cooking over an open fire" is 1931.

He also suggests looking at
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bar1.htm

Posted By: Wordwind Re: carving fowl - 01/30/05 01:40 AM
So, the site you posted toward the top, Jackie, is?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: barbes and whiskers - 01/30/05 03:11 PM
Here's another site that mentions the head-to-tail for barbeque and on the site my question was answered:

barbe in French = whisker

http://www.foodreference.com/html/artbarbecue.html

Duh! (Barber!)

Anyway, from whisker to tail = barbeque

Although MW and gang don't ascribe to the whisker/tail etymology, it is quite satisfying as an apparently widespread factoid.

© Wordsmith.org