Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind Underdog supporters under snow - 11/09/04 11:33 PM
I was just browsing through tsuwm's lexicon, and came across a term for one who favors the underdog:

infracaninophile

I checked it out at onelook.com and didn't find anything to add to tsuwm's definition, so I looked up 'caninophile'; no go. But there did appear a botanical term that I thought was fairly interesting:

chianophile

"A plant that can endure long snowy winters, or one that requires snow cover in winter."

Here's a link to what appears to be a rich lexicon of botanical terms from which I quoted the above:

http://glossary.gardenweb.com/glossary/page1.html

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Underdog supporters - 11/10/04 02:48 AM
Those of us in our earliest boyhood gave our hearts to Conan Doyle, and have had from him so many hours of good refreshment, find our affection unshakable. What other man led a fuller and heartier and more masculine life? Doctor, whaler, athlete, writer, speculator, dramatist, historian, war correspondent, spiritualist, he was always the infracaninophile -- the helper of the underdog. Big in every way, his virtues had always something of the fresh vigor of the amateur, keen, open-minded, flexible, imaginative. If, as Doyle utterly believed, the spirits of the dead persist and can communicate, there is none that could have more wholesome news to impart to us than that brave and energetic lover of life. - Christopher Morley, from the preface to The Complete Sherlock Holmes

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Underdog supporters - 11/10/04 07:44 AM
Thanks for the quoted tribute, tsuwm. Those of us in our girlhood, too...

© Wordsmith.org