Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 01/16/03 09:00 PM
Posted By: wwh Re: Dew Point - 01/16/03 10:29 PM
Dear WW: after ten minutes of searching, this URL is the best thing I could find.
If you scroll down a way, there is a chart that maybe you can comprehend better
than I can. I'm feeling lazy. Bill

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 01/17/03 12:10 AM
Posted By: wwh Re: Don't Point - 01/17/03 12:54 AM
Dear Ww: Here is URL:http://www.lamtec.com/dew-point-calculator.htm
I had a wonderful visit with my pilot son and grand-daughter. I had just gotten back from
two mile walk, after which I am uually eager to sit a while. But when my son asked if I wanted
to walk around the pond in the park, I pretended to be eager to do so. Then we browsed in a
pilot supply house for half an hour, walked all around the airport, and then went to lunch.
I have to admit I was quite tuckered. So it was time for a senile moment. Luckily I did remember
the search words that finally produced the URL which is far better then the first ten I went through
at length in vain. I have reached my "dew" point - I'm glad to "dew" nothing but sit at the computer
for a while.

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 01/17/03 01:00 AM
Posted By: dxb Re: Don't Point - 01/17/03 10:26 AM
Interesting, from WW:

Glad to hear you had a good visit with your son!

This seems to be a very common 'cross the pond usage.

In the UK you would hear "Glad to hear you enjoyed your son's visit" or "Glad to hear you enjoyed visiting your son".

'A good visit with' sounds warm and pleasant, I like it but it doesn't tell you who visited who.

Posted By: Bean Re: Dew Point - 01/17/03 12:19 PM
Here's a great weather FAQ at Environment Canada, WW

http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/faq_e.html

in which they explain the dew point. (And other things, too.)

Posted By: wwh Re: Dew Point - 01/17/03 01:38 PM
So now you know the dew does not fall.

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 01/17/03 01:52 PM
Posted By: Faldage Re: Dew Point - 01/17/03 01:54 PM
Now that we've cleared all that up, what's with this eleven nonsense? Thirty-two I could see. Or zero if you're being rational.

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 01/17/03 02:02 PM
Posted By: Faldage Re: Dew Point = 11 - 01/17/03 02:38 PM
Loftan was saying that under those particular circustances on that particular day the dew point had to be 11 for snow to happen? This means, of course, that the temperature would have had to drop to 11°F for it to snow. I think Loftan's all wet. Snow isn't dew. The snow is forming up in the clouds where it's moister and cooler. You know you've reached the dew point if you get moisture on your car windows, frost if the dew point is lower than freezing.

How cold did it get that day you got the snow?

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 01/17/03 02:52 PM
Posted By: Bean Re: Dew Point = 11 - 01/17/03 03:15 PM
Snow is kind of like dew. Don't ice crystals need a "nucleus" on which to form, usually a dust particle or something? In that sense it is a bit like frost forming on a surface - just a very, very small surface. And Faldage is right about the temperature being different "up there" in the cloud. That's probably the temperature that counts for the initial formation of snow. I've certainly experienced snow when the ground temperature is above freezing. Obviously where the snow originated it was below freezing!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Dew Point = 11 - 01/17/03 03:17 PM
Well, maybe she's just a little unclear on the concept. The dew point is what the dew point is. It's a dependent variable. The independent variables are temperature and relative humidity. If the temperature reaches the dew point condensation will form on whatever there is to condense on. If the dew point is 11 then the tempearture has to reach 11 for dew (frost) to form. Now it may have gotten down to 11 up in the clouds or the relative humidty may have been higher up in the clouds (more likely) giving us a higher dew point up there. If you look at the chart you'll notice that dew point matches tempearture at 100% relative humidity.

Posted By: wwh Re: Dew Point = 11 - 01/17/03 03:54 PM
What do you do on a dew-dew=dewy day? A sold drink collects moisture, and needs a coaster
under it. And at the lab, a succession of such days meant that the air compressor tanks would
have to have condensed water bled off.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Dew Point = 40 - 01/17/03 04:03 PM
A sold drink collects moisture

There you go. Sitting out on the front porch, tempearture a balmy 95°F and a mere 15% humidity. The glass holding your gin and tonic is at a brisk 40°F and the little beads of moisture dripping onto your beautiful sun dress.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Dew Point - 01/17/03 04:18 PM
Is the purpose of foreplay.

Posted By: wwh Re: Dew Point - 01/17/03 04:21 PM
Eskimo - frigid midget with a rigid digit.

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 01/17/03 06:48 PM
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Dew Point - 01/17/03 07:10 PM
>If you look at wwh's chart, Faldage, and locate eleven, you'll see the place where the two factors required for snow in Richmond, VA, intercepted at 11.

if you'll pardon the intrusion, I think the "11" is confusing matters in use of the charts. there are no 11's on the F chart, and I rather suspect Loftan was talking about degrees F. (I doubt that it snows at 11 degrees C, even in brumal North Dakota.)

Posted By: Faldage Re: Dew Point - 01/17/03 07:15 PM
We're reading the chart the same way OK. It's what the dew point is that I think is confusing you. It's the temperature at which the amount of water that's in the air would become 100% relative humidity. Maybe it's the relative humidity that's confusing you. If you have a certain amount of water in the air at, say, 38°F and it gives you 20% RH, then, if the temperature drops to 24°F the RH would become 45%. The warmer the air the more water it can hold. The Relative Humidity is the amount of water in the air divided by the total amount it can hold expressed as a percentage. When the temperature drops to the point where the air can no longer hold that much water it precipitates out onto things. Dew. If the dew point is below 32°F it comes out as frost. Capisce?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Dew Point - 01/17/03 07:18 PM
11°C

Oops. Well, my argument holds. Just use different numbers.

© Wordsmith.org