Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Sparteye But they can run fast and jump high - 10/02/02 05:15 PM
Recent statements by athletes:

"I didn't even know Elvis was from Memphis. I thought he was from Tennessee." -- Drew Gooden, when asked about visiting Graceland after he was drafted by the Memphis Grizzlies

"Listening to the ovation they gave to [Arnold Palmer at the Master's] on the first tee, I was getting -- what do you call it? -- chicken pox." -- Sergio Garcia

Posted By: sjm Re: But they can run fast and jump high - 10/02/02 05:57 PM
>"Listening to the ovation they gave to [Arnold Palmer at the Master's] on the first tee, I was getting -- what do you call it? -- chicken pox." -- Sergio Garcia

No fair! At least he has an excuse, English not being his first language.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: But they can run fast and jump high - 10/02/02 06:01 PM
Just imagine for a moment a huge body of reporters following you around, hanging onto every word you speak. Don't you believe that once in a while--even in a near-eternally long while--one of them might catch you in a blooper?

And, should that happen in this make-believe world of fame you're now standing in, wouldn't it be embarrassing to find yourself quoted here on AWAD for each of us to laugh at!?

There's something to be said for anonymity...

Posted By: johnjohn Re: But they can run fast and jump high - 10/03/02 01:09 AM
<<No fair! At least he has an excuse, English not being his first language.>>

I agree, provided Sparteye doesn't know what the Spanish for "goose bumps" is...

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Chicken pox - 10/03/02 02:38 PM
It doesn't seem an unreasonable term to use, given that the accolades being awarded were being described in terms of ova.

Posted By: consuelo Goose bumps en español - 10/13/02 02:40 PM
Ackshully©, Sergio wasn't too far off. In Spanish, goose bumps are known as "chicken skin" piel de gallina. Now Sparteye knows if she didn't before .

Posted By: Faldage Re: Chicken Skin - 10/13/02 02:55 PM
It's certainly no worse than ordering, say, soap and eggs for breakfast.

I don't speak English, but I promise not to laugh at your Spanish.

jamón = ham

jabón = soap

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Chicken Skin - 10/13/02 03:13 PM
And the French for ham appears to be a combination of "jamón = ham and jabón = soap"...

jambon...oui?

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Jambon - 10/14/02 02:57 AM
Well, WW, maybe that's why cheap jambon tastes the way it does.

© Wordsmith.org