Wordsmith.org
Posted By: sva96 I've coined an Expression - 07/07/02 12:38 PM
"Relationship Espionage"
I was talking w/my girlfriend about the finality of clicking the "SEND" button on e-mail (click SEND & the message is sent - you can't take it back - there's no "UNDO" - your ideas, no matter how good or bad, right or wrong, etc are on their way to the intended (or unintended) recipient.
Its the unintended recipient that had me coin the phrase "Relationship Espionage." Let's say you're on good terms w/your exgirlfriend & you exchange e-mail occasionally (keep in mind this is the only girl for you, you really didn't want the break-up to happen & you can't figure out how to undo the breakup). Your ex-girlfriend is writing a very private & personal e-mail to the current boyfriend which includes some intimate details regarding his good & bad qualities, her needs & wants - basically what she needs from him & their relationship. Anyway.... "SEND" is clicked & the e-mail goes to... the Unintended Recipient (YOU!). Now you are armed with incredibly detailed information - everything you need know - from the "only girl for you."
Using the unintentionally-received info to win your girlfriend back: Relationship Espionage.
Granted, there are a number of suppositions (mainly that she actually wants you back) but I like the basic idea of the term. Any comments??

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: I've coined an Expression - 07/07/02 01:25 PM
> Any comments?

I'd fancy this is one of those 'you had to be there' things.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: I've coined an Expression - 07/07/02 01:38 PM
Reminds me of the dialogue after German unification regarding whether or not to preserve the Stasi files. With respect to romance, the implied strategy seems a poor one to me. Espionage in intimacy bodes ill. I'd keep it under my hat. (Where did that expression come from, anyway, O Goddess of the YART)?

Posted By: jopublic Re: I've coined an Expression - 07/09/02 01:05 PM
An absolutely invaluable contribution to the language. Well done. Have you any idea of the price of potatos these days?

Posted By: maverick Re: I've coined an Expression - 07/09/02 06:15 PM
potatos...

Were you born a rude git, or have you put in many years' diligent practice? oh, :p btw!

© Wordsmith.org