Wordsmith.org
Posted By: of troy something to toast the New Year with.. - 01/02/02 04:22 PM
BENTONVILLE, ARK (AP) - Some Wal-Mart customers soon will be able to sample a new discount item -- Wal-Mart's own brand of wine. The world's largest retail chain is teaming up with E&J Gallo Winery of Modesto, Calif., to produce the spirits at an affordable price; in the $6-8 range.

While wine connoisseurs may not be inclined to throw a bottle of Wal-Mart brand wine into their shopping carts, there is a market for cheap wine, said Kathy Micken, professor of marketing at Roger Williams University in Bristol, R.I. She said: "The right name is important."

The top 12 suggested names for Wal-Mart Wine:

12. Chateau Traileur Doublewide

11. White Trashfindel

10. Big Red Gulp

9. Grape Expectations

8. Domaine Wal-Mart "Merde du Pays"

7. NASCARbernet

6. Chef Boyardeaux

5. Peanut Noir

4. Chateau des Moines

3. I Can't Believe It's Not Vinegar!

2. World Championship Wriesling

And the number 1 name for Wal-Mart Wine...

1. Nasti Spumante

Ah, yes...vying for that under-the-bridge Thunderbird market, are they? How 'bout calling it Guttersip? Just what the world needs...another cheap wine!

Posted By: Faldage Re: something to toast the New Year with.. - 01/02/02 05:01 PM
Shateau LaFoote Rothschidt

Posted By: Sparteye Re: something to toast the New Year with.. - 01/02/02 05:18 PM
and for the marketing slogan ....

Made with only the finest cane sugar

Posted By: wwh Re: something to toast the New Year with.. - 01/02/02 06:00 PM
Winesnobs of the World, Unite!

Posted By: emanuela Re: something to toast the New Year with.. - 01/02/02 08:06 PM
And the number 1 name for Wal-Mart Wine... 1. Nasti Spumante

Do you recognize the joke in
nasti spumante?
Asti Spumante is the name for a toasting wine made in (or close to) the city of Asti in Piemonte (Piemonte is that part of Italy on the north west, close to the France - the name literally means Pie'Monte = close to the feet of the mountains)
And Spumante, it means "making spuma", where spuma is foam.

Posted By: wwh Re: something to toast the New Year with.. - 01/02/02 08:55 PM
I don't giggle when the bubbles go up my nose, but I'd rather have spumoni any day.

Posted By: Angel Re: something to toast the New Year with.. - 01/02/02 09:17 PM
I'd rather have spumoni any day.

Me too! Anything Italian, with one layer on top of another, sounds good to me!

Loved it, Helen! I plump for White Trashfindel myself ...

Posted By: consuelo Gas is still cheaper - 01/02/02 10:59 PM
Is that $6-8 a gallon? If it is, then I vote for Big Red Gulp.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 01/02/02 11:37 PM
Posted By: Keiva Re: Est! Est! Est! - 01/03/02 12:18 AM
http://www.geocities.com/winelabels/wines.htmp, on the wine named Est! Est! Est!:
In 1110 Bishop Johann Fugger was travelling from Ausberg to Rome for the coronation of Emperor Henry V. The German was a wine-lover and sent his servant Martin a days journey ahead to find suitable inns to stay. Martin was instructed to write the word Est on the door of the inn with the best wine. When the good Bishop arrived at the small hilltop village of Montefiascone, overlooking Lake Bolsena some sixty miles from Rome he found Est! Est!! Est!!! written above the door of the inn. And it was true. The wine was so much to the Bishops taste he stayed there until the end of his days, drinking the fine wine of the town. And he is still there; his tomb can be seen in the church of St. Flavio, with Martin's inscription.
Est. Est. Propter Nimium
Est Hic Jo. Defuk Dominus
Meus Mortuus Est
('On account of too much Est Est Est my master Johannes di Fugger died here.' - Defuk being the Italian form of Di Fugger)

Posted By: Keiva Re: something to toast the New Year with.. - 01/03/02 12:53 AM
Not so quick, please, with the name 10. Big Red Gulp

http://www.opusonewines.com/iw_history.asp: A joint venture of Baron Philippe de Rothschild and Robert Mondavi produces the wine Opus One, which typically retails for over $150 per bottle.

When a name was originally selected for the wine, one of candidates was "Phil and Bob's Big Red".

Posted By: emanuela Asti Riccadonna - 01/03/02 07:35 AM
Ricca - donna simply means
wealthy woman.(Sounds as it is the family name of the producers of the wine, but this is just a conjecture).

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 01/03/02 07:40 AM
Posted By: Faldage Re: Big Red - 01/03/02 12:03 PM
Cornell University might could have they lawyers all over you like a cheap suit on this one.

I think they's a nother Big Red out there somewheres, too.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Big Red - 01/05/02 07:05 PM
Big Red = cinnamon flavored chewing gum.

http://www.candyandstuff.com/bigredchewgu.html

Posted By: Faldage Re: Big Red - 01/06/02 12:25 AM
chewing gum

Or either U Neb, one.

Posted By: Keiva Re: Big Red - 01/06/02 01:50 AM
Q: A University of Nebraska football player's helmet, what does the N stand for?
A: nowlegde.

© Wordsmith.org