Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Another plug for Free Rice - 05/12/09 02:51 PM
Just visited the place for the first time in a while; thought others might like to have fun while donating:
Free Rice

One of the words I didn't know was sciamachy. Interestingly, when I clicked to hear the pronunciation, I heard SEE-a-mickey; yet Webster's New World College Dictionary shows it as see-AM-uh-kee.

I don't feel like running an actual Hogwash at the moment, but if anybody wants to hazard a guess, feel free, and if there are any I'll just post the def. in a few.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Another plug for Free Rice - 05/12/09 03:49 PM
or, if you just want to click a link.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Another plug for Free Rice - 05/12/09 04:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
Just visited the place for the first time in a while; thought others might like to have fun while donating:
Free Rice

One of the words I didn't know was sciamachy. Interestingly, when I clicked to hear the pronunciation, I heard SEE-a-mickey; yet Webster's New World College Dictionary shows it as see-AM-uh-kee.

I don't feel like running an actual Hogwash at the moment, but if anybody wants to hazard a guess, feel free, and if there are any I'll just post the def. in a few.

Been visiting here for a long time. However, they don't update all that often. But fun nevertheless.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Another plug for Free Rice - 05/12/09 08:30 PM
I rather take a guess. It starts a bit Italic. Hm, something like the blend of a saw and a machete.
Or it has to do with screeming.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Another plug for Free Rice - 05/13/09 02:10 AM
Oh! tsuwm, your link is to the definition; I was wondering why MY link to Free Rice wasn't good enough! smile
Posted By: BranShea Re: Another plug for Free Rice - 05/13/09 09:41 AM
Now I've looked at tsuwm's link. cool Though wrong in my supposed origin, not a too bad guess on the whole. It's fun to make a guess, post it and then look. Recommended. Has an interesting etymology as well.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Another plug for Free Rice - 05/13/09 09:18 PM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
or, if you just want to click a link.
sciamachy:
[fr. Gk skia, shadow + mache, battle] /sye AM uh kee/
a futile battle with an imaginary foe; fighting with a shadow -- shadow-boxing, against an imaginary opponent in training for the ring, is a specialized form of sciamachy

the word following sciamachy:
sciapodous
having very large feet

shadow feet?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Another plug for Free Rice - 05/13/09 09:43 PM
Sciopodes - A fabulous people of Libya ‘with immense feet which they used as sunshades’ (Liddell & Scott). Hence sciapodous a.
[OED2]
Posted By: Jackie Re: Another plug for Free Rice - 05/14/09 02:37 AM
‘with immense feet which they used as sunshades’ What the heck?? Some story or myth, presumably?
Posted By: BranShea Re: Another plug for Free Rice - 05/15/09 06:13 AM
For every myth there is an image.

Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Another plug for Free Rice - 05/15/09 04:19 PM
And for every myth there is a Kernal of Truth.
© Wordsmith.org