Wordsmith.org
Posted By: knowitall Eyas and today's subject - 09/10/07 05:13 PM
I couldn't help but chuckle in reminiscence: When I was in 3rd grade at Sunset Elementary School in Venice, CA, I came home and told my mother that we had hung our "aps" in the cloakroom. My mother questioned the word, but I was adamant (a trait that is my genetic pattern to this day). I insisted loudly that the teacher said, "Hang your aps in the cloakroom!" My mother gently pointed out that what the teacher actually had said was "Hang your wraps in the cloakroom." Talk about missing letters!
Posted By: Maven Re: Eyas and today's subject - 09/11/07 02:17 PM
Why were they called wraps? Not jackets or coats?

Did the teacher have an accent? I grew up in the Rockies, and teachers with accents required a bit more focus...
Posted By: Jackie Re: Eyas and today's subject - 09/11/07 02:30 PM
Maybe it's an age thing, Maven, she said vaguely recalling some reference...oh yes, that poll...that you're a decade or two younger than I: my teachers said wraps, too. Welcome, kit.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Eyas and today's subject - 09/11/07 03:52 PM
I don't understand, Maven: What would an accent have to do with the elision heard in "Hang your wraps in the cloakroom." ?
Posted By: Myridon Re: Eyas and today's subject - 09/11/07 06:50 PM
If you're already under the assumption that you don't understand someone, you stop bothering to puzzle out the hard bits.

Coincidentally, my niece had a baby yesterday - they've named him Colloid, er, Cole Lloyd.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Eyas and today's subject - 09/11/07 09:47 PM
> they've named him Colloid, er, Cole Lloyd

o.O
Posted By: olly Re: Eyas and today's subject - 09/11/07 10:07 PM
When it's cold and wet outside the little uns wrap up nice and warm like!
Posted By: Maven Re: Eyas and today's subject - 09/11/07 10:09 PM
Some accents slide words together, such as y'all. Wasn't intended as criticism, just curiosity.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Eyas and today's subject - 09/11/07 10:17 PM
"Hang your wraps in the cloakroom" was heard in the midwest, too -- we wondered what the heck 'cloaks' were.

-joe (turn on the cloaking device) friday
Posted By: Zed Re: Eyas and today's subject - 09/11/07 11:49 PM
My brother came home from school talking about learning open and closed coves in math. Eventually my mother figured out that his teacher was talking about curves - with a Kiwi accent.
Posted By: knowitall Re: Eyas and today's subject - 09/12/07 06:09 AM
They were called "wraps" because we were extremely sophisticated in Venice, CA. Later, the sophistication slipped and "wraps" evolved into "coats," "sweaters," and, eventually, "things". Go figure.
Posted By: knowitall Re: Eyas and today's subject - 09/12/07 06:11 AM
So did we! I couldn't even figure out where the stupid "cloakroom" was....or even WHAT it was.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Eyas and today's subject - 09/12/07 12:33 PM
we wondered what the heck 'cloaks' were.
So did we!
Geez, hadn't you-all read Little Red Riding Hood?!
Posted By: Myridon Re: Eyas and today's subject - 09/12/07 03:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
we wondered what the heck 'cloaks' were.
So did we!
Geez, hadn't you-all read Little Red Riding Hood?!

Is it about a gangsta?
Posted By: Jackie Re: Eyas and today's subject - 09/13/07 01:17 PM
Myr: pppppphhhhhhhhbbbbbbbbbbbbtttttttttt!
© Wordsmith.org