Wordsmith.org
Posted By: RMTNDEW Monkita. - 01/02/07 01:45 AM
Hey,
I'm new to the board, but I've been wondering about a word for a long time and thought ya'll might be able to help me. I heard it on a TV show (The Inspector Lynly Mysteries) this past summer. It's either monkita or montika. I'm a little dyslexic and I was writing it in a hurry, as it wasn't on there very long, so I may have missed the spelling. But it means something along the lines of; what they know, but do not speak. I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this question, but I just thought ya'll would be my best bet in finding out what this word was.

- Alicia
Posted By: themilum Re: Monkita. - 01/02/07 02:28 AM
Hey yourself, Alicia.

It would be helpful if you gave the context of the usage in the Inspector Lynly Mysteries. Then, I'm sure, that someone here can help you.

Welcome.
Posted By: Hydra Re: Monkita. - 01/02/07 03:51 AM
mokita noun the truth that everyone knows but no one talks about. ORIGIN Papuan.

Link
Posted By: Zed Re: Monkita. - 01/04/07 12:18 AM
I've always heard it pronounced as "the elephant in the room"
Hi and welcome Alicia
Posted By: Hydra Re: Monkita. - 01/04/07 03:10 AM
>Elephant in the room.

Where does that originate?

Any relation to that anecdote about an argument between Wittgenstein and some other philosopher? Wittgenstein (I think it was Wittgenstein) refused to accept that the latter could prove there wasn't a rhinoceros in the room, or something like that. It became an illustration of the absurdity of solipsism.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Monkita. - 01/04/07 03:26 PM
rm: Have you tried Googling it

I get 4760 hits on the one and 544 on the other
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Monkita. - 01/04/07 05:08 PM
Quote:

the word is, indeed, mokita; 35,600 ghits.
Posted By: Zed Re: Monkita. - 01/04/07 07:23 PM
No idea how the elephant got into the room but you have to work really hard to ignore it.
Posted By: Hydra Re: Monkita. - 01/05/07 08:15 AM
Quote:

Quote:

mokita noun the truth that everyone knows but no one talks about. ORIGIN Papuan.

Link

Quote:

Mantled.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Mantled - 01/05/07 12:15 PM
Yep! Congratulations.
Posted By: RMTNDEW Re: Monkita - 01/10/07 09:32 PM
Thank ya'll so much. I know I didn't give ya'll much to work with; I don't much remember the episode and how the word was used, so I apologize for not being able to give ya'll more, but you got it! Thank you!

- Alicia
© Wordsmith.org