Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belMarduk mistaken and wrong - 03/23/06 07:57 PM
The thread by wordsearcher reminded me of a discussion I've had with Hubby a couple of times.

I think telling somebody they are "wrong" is a more agressive statement than telling somebody that they are "mistaken."

I can't put my finger on exactly why, because in both cases, the person is incorrect, but that's the distinct impression I have.

Does anybody have an opinion on this?
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: mistaken and wrong - 03/23/06 08:05 PM
I think "wrong" carries the weight of a value judgement. So you're right, or taken, if you prefer.
Posted By: maverick Re: mistaken and wrong - 03/23/06 11:55 PM
I think it's because the mistake version is at one remove, whereas in declaring someone to be "wrong" you are impugning their whole person. It's reminiscent of the difference alluded to by those who differentiate between 'hating the sin but still loving the sinner', or the example of the loving parent who marks disaproval of an unnaceptable action without loading the child with fear and self-loathing - "bad action, not bad person", if that makes sense?
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: mistaken and wrong - 03/24/06 02:06 PM
Yeah! That's what I was clumsily trying to say (but didn't think it all the way through), I think.
Posted By: maverick Re: mistaken and wrong - 03/24/06 02:13 PM
Think I was the clumsy one there, ASp - I just couldn't find a succint way of saying it, too tired mebbe. Not that I'm saying you're wrong...
© Wordsmith.org