Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Sparteye oneillt1 - 02/28/01 04:44 PM
oneillt1

-- is the board name of a poster on a sports board. He is a graduate student at Michigan State, and when I asked him the etymology of his name, he replied that "any MSU student could figure it out. Hint: I'm Irish."

I'm clueless. Anybody have ideas?

Posted By: maverick Re: oneillt1 - 02/28/01 05:17 PM
Tim O'Neill?

Posted By: Sparteye Re: oneillt1 - 02/28/01 05:30 PM
Tim O'Neill?

Defensive tackle for the Northern Iowa football team? Oh, Mav, I know that's not to whom you must be referring, but...

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: oneillt1 - 02/28/01 06:02 PM
Before I even read the post that posed the question, I was deciphering it as "One Ill T-1". Someone having trouble with their workplace internet connection, I thought ~

Too much exposure to technology is clearly the culprit. Note to self: Retreat to mountain cave as soon as possible, emerge when normal.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: oneillt1 - 02/28/01 06:20 PM
I keep getting hung up on the One Ill part referring to Illinois, which is a university in the same conference -- the Big Ten -- as Michigan State. But, the poster is a native Michiganian, attending MSU, and a fan of MSU.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: oneillt1 - 02/28/01 06:25 PM
DUH. It just hit me. Oneillt1's reference to an MSU student knowing this and being Irish = MSU must have a standard ISP ID system which uses the person's surname/first name initial. As Mav says, he is T O'Neill. Not THE T O'Neill, but A T O'Neill. The "1" must indicate that there are multiple oneillts either on the MSU system or on the board where we post. No convoluted sport or literary or historical reference - just a name.

I feel better. Thanks, Mav and Fibrebabe.

Posted By: wow Re: oneillt1 - 02/28/01 10:58 PM
My eyes are getting bleary from reading too many posts.
When I scanned oneillt1 I read it as One Illiterate One.
Then, I read second post, went back and there it was :
O'Neill, T 1
(Blub, blub, blub -- me going down drain)
wow

© Wordsmith.org