Wordsmith.org
Posted By: jheem qualtagh :- the answers - 04/18/04 02:27 PM
Here's how you all did. Congratulations AnnaStrophic and dxb.

1. signpost, usually at an intersection of roads, indicating distance to the nearest town in each direction. [Fiberbabe] (consuelo & Sparteye)

2. [Scottish dialect]: forested: traditionally the land around each village is divided into qualtagh (forest), montagh (bog), corn (cultivated) and machair (rough grazing). [hibernicus] (Bingley, Fiberbabe, & wofahulicodoc)

3. (n), Gaelic. A knapsack used by Scottish gamekeepers for storing small items such food and shotgun shells while inspecting their estates. [Capfka] (n/a)

4. A quarter-length shillelagh; made for and used by leprechauns. [Jackie]

5. kindred spirit; doppelgänger [Scots Gaelic] [AnnaStrophic]

6. a measure of volume, more than a peck but not as much as as a bushel. (Gaelic, obviously) [wofahulicodoc]

7. Mythical beast featured in many folk tales of N. American tribes. [Bingley] (Faldage, TEd Remington)

8. One who is always ready; never caught on the back foot. [dxb] (musick)

9. the first person one meets after leaving home on some special occasion. [OED, jheem] (AnnaStrophic, dxb, & tsuwm)

10. A modern quasi-Irish gaelic word meaning discourse about quality issues. [RhubarbCommando]

11. idealism [musick] (etaoin)

12. a small structure, made of wet animals skins stretched over a framework of green wood and then shrunk over a fire, and then used to house provisions. A design of the Ojibway nation. [Sparteye] (Capfka, Coffeebean, hibernicus, & sjmaxq)

13. (n) a slanderer, shrewish person. (from Gaelic qual bad, malicious and tagh tongue, language) [sjmaxq] (RhubarbCommando)

I found qualtagh in the OED in my high school library. I was probably a sophomore then. I spent a lot of time in the library, learning about Gothic and Old Saxon (Dutch) by reading etymologies in the OED. I was reading the Q volume. It's a Manx loanword; the only one I know. The OED entry adds: "also, the first person entering a home on New Year's Day; the first-foot." Etymology: Manx, also written <i>quaaltagh</i> < <i>quaail</i> (= Ir. and Gael. <i>comhdháil</i> 'meeting').

<font color=red>edited by jheem to relfect that tsuwm had voted and correctly.]
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: qualtagh :- the answers - 04/18/04 03:53 PM
so am I (a) qualtagh since I'm first to reply? or at least for whomever replies next?

Posted By: dxb Re: qualtagh :- the answers - 04/19/04 11:07 AM
Is this a 'special occasion', then?

Posted By: jheem Re: qualtagh :- the answers - 04/19/04 12:17 PM
I hadn't thought of it before, but on Slashdot, some posters post without thought or comment to new topics so that they can be the first. The contents of their post is usually something along the lines of "First poster!" ...

Posted By: Faldage Re: qualtagh :- the answers - 04/19/04 12:35 PM
I suggest we reserve the term qualtagh for the poster of the first meaningful post. Anyone who posts merely to be first shall be referred to as quantagh.

Posted By: jheem Re: qualtagh :- the answers - 04/19/04 12:51 PM
Anyone who posts merely to be first shall be referred to as quantagh.

Great big !

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: fraught with danger - 04/19/04 12:58 PM
so, if I'd left off the smiley, I would be qualtagh, but the smiley makes me quantagh?

Posted By: jheem Re: fraught with danger - 04/19/04 01:21 PM
No, I don't see why smileys aren't meaningful. At least in my universe.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Meanwhile, dxb - 04/19/04 01:24 PM
Who buys the first pint?

Posted By: jheem Re: Meanwhile, dxb - 04/19/04 01:29 PM
Isn't it the person who asks about the strange acronym on the pub mirror? Or was that the first person who rings the bell?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Meanwhile, dxb - 04/19/04 01:34 PM
all this talk of pints and bells, my mouth is starting to water...

Posted By: dxb Re: qualtagh :- the answers - 04/19/04 02:32 PM
I suggest we reserve the term qualtagh for the poster of the first meaningful post. Anyone who posts merely to be first shall be referred to as quantagh.

Feel the width.

Posted By: consuelo Ahem, Mr jheem... - 04/19/04 08:49 PM
In antithesistic spirit of the board, "We doan need no steenkin roolez" Well, here we have a few. Sparteye(four votes for her submission) takes the honors of this round, followed closely by hibernicus. Well done to all

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: That's twice - 04/19/04 11:09 PM
in a row when I didn't get no steenkin' donut - I'm on fire now!

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Ahem, Mr jheem... - 04/19/04 11:51 PM
Everybody say it:

Sparteye Rulz!

Posted By: Jackie Re: Ahem, Mr jheem... - 04/20/04 02:00 AM
Okay: SPARTEYE RULZ! [HUG]

© Wordsmith.org