Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie The meaning of meant - 07/12/03 11:49 PM
I know of two Britspeakers who use the word meant where I would (likely) use the word supposed; at least I would not use the word meant. For ex.: they would say, "I was meant to go to the store this afternoon but I got delayed." Do all Britspeakers use it this way?
To my way of thinking, someone might say, "I was meant to become a teacher" (or whatever), meaning they think that's what fate decreed for them. Or, "they were meant to meet and fall in love--they're perfect for each other". That kind of thing.
Anybody else have an opinion?

Posted By: maverick Re: The meaning of meant - 07/13/03 12:01 AM
I was meant to go to the store this afternoon but I got delayed." Do all Britspeakers use it this way?

This would be a slightly unusual construction in my lex. I might easily say "I meant to go...", but the addition of the "was" implies my acting under someone else's direction (which mavericks tend not to do anywayz!) But I suppose I would not blink in surprise if I heard a sentence spoken by another Brit such as this: "I was meant to go to the Doctor's this afternoon, but I had to cancel the appointment."

I could certainly easily imagine saying the other kinds of examples you suggest, implying a pseudo-fatalistic outlook: "I was {destined/meant} to be a teacher, but fell in love with a beautiful contessa instead" :)

ciao, Caterina

Posted By: consuelo Re: The meaning of meant - 07/13/03 12:03 AM
I use "I meant to" quite often. "I meant to wash my dishes, but I never got around to it." "I meant to call my mother but I got distracted." etc.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: The meaning of meant - 07/13/03 01:16 AM
I would probably say "I was meaning to go to the store". meant, as was mentioned, has more of a predestination sort of feel...

Posted By: wsieber Re: The meaning of meant - 07/14/03 07:58 AM
Hi Jackie,
Are you really sure that your British acquaintances would put in the word was in your example sentence? Isn't it rather a "rationalization" from your analogy with supposed to..?

Posted By: Capfka Re: The meaning of meant - 07/14/03 08:46 AM
I certainly wouldn't use "I was meant to" in most circumstances.

Posted By: dxb Re: The meaning of meant - 07/14/03 10:36 AM
"I did mean to...", possibly, or "I had meant to...".

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: The meaning of meant - 07/14/03 12:42 PM
I suppose someone might say, (but not write, I hope!) "I was meant to play King Lear in the school play, but I went down with the lergy."

It ain't terribly grammatical, but.

Posted By: Jackie Re: The meaning of meant - 07/15/03 12:59 PM
Are you really sure that your British acquaintances would put in the word was in your example sentence?
Yes--that's why it struck me as so unusual. Two different people.

Posted By: Zed Re: The meaning of meant - 07/16/03 10:58 PM
It's old fashioned but I've seen it in older British books, Come to think of it I've used it but always in the third person "It was meant to have long sleeves but I ran out of fabric." And I'm neither older (much) nor British.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: The meaning of meant - 07/17/03 09:48 AM
I think you may have hit on an important distinction, Zed.

Is it not that "was meant" is used when the expectations of a third party have been disappointed, whilst if your *own expectations have not been met, you just say "meant?"

"I meant to go to the shops, but was too interested in AWADtalk to leave it."

"I was meant to go to the shops,[by my parent, spouse, sibling or child, for instance] but forgot, and will have to think up a good excuse."

Posted By: dxb Re: The meaning of meant - 07/17/03 10:53 AM
Is it not that "was meant" is used when the expectations of a third party have been disappointed, whilst if your *own expectations have not been met, you just say "meant?"

That puts it very well. In a nutshell.

© Wordsmith.org