Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Blue Mountains Steel Deck - 07/12/02 03:20 AM
I am trying to find an equivalent word(s) for Steel Deck(ing). Are you able to help?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Steel Deck - 07/12/02 05:48 PM
metal decking

I googled your term and found numerous pages for companies providing steel decks for a variety of products: bridges, warehouses, even the Queen Mary. Anyway, metal decking was a term also used.

You might try Google. Just enter "steel deck" and you'll get more information than you probably want.

Best regards,
WW

Posted By: dodyskin Re: Steel Deck - 07/12/02 10:03 PM
ask these guys http://www.rlsd.com/

Posted By: Jackie Re: Steel Deck - 07/13/02 01:21 AM
Welcome to you, Blue Mountains. Um--I was wondering if you could provide some context; that is, I don't know of anything that decks are called except decks, whether they're made of wood, steel, or whatever. Do you perhaps mean a name for the...components? Such as a term that is comparable to board or plank, for its counterpart in steel?

Posted By: Manx Re: Steel Deck - 07/13/02 03:27 AM
Are you referring to the part you drive on, on a bridge? I always think of steel deck bridges, very hard to ride across on something with narrow tires, such as my bicycle, or perhaps a motorcycle. The decking has a waffle type pattern, that makes the bike shake, and very hard to steer and control.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Steel Deck - 07/13/02 12:13 PM
there is also "diamond plate", that shiny steel plating, with a diamond pattern, 'natch, that you see on trucks... not quite what you're looking for, but I thought I'd mention it.

Posted By: of troy Re: Steel Deck - 07/13/02 12:29 PM
this is interesting.. What is meant by steel deck(ing)

diamond pattern--like seen on trucks?

Open waffle like seen on bridges?

1/2 (10 cm) thick sheets, seen on NYC roads?

corragaged sheets used as substructure for poured concrete (used constructing elevated highways?--and in hi rise buildings?)

textured steel uses as decking for things like ships/aircraft carriers?

steel commopents used for exterior home buildings? (terraces, patios, etc. --i have steel storm windows and doors)

Are there other types of steel deck? the two previously mentioned, (etaoin & ...) made me realize i wasn't thinking of what they defined, but of the large (2 meters by 4 meters or so) steel plates that are often used in NYC to temporarilly cover openings in the street-- and then i thought of the others types..
(and NYC subway steps have these diamond embosed type steel plates to protect the concrete from wear.. not quite deck, but...)
i never realized i knew so many types...and that all of them, just are 'steel deck'. but i suspect some have other names. and that there are other types i haven't thought about.

Posted By: Blue Mountains Re: Steel Deck - 07/14/02 05:32 AM
Sorry to have been so vague. I mean steel decking in non-residential buildings for floors. This can be called W deck, formwork replacement, reinforcing (sort of). It is usually used in composite constructions (ie concrete and steel) or just in steel construction. I hope this helps.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Steel Deck - 07/14/02 01:10 PM
Dear Blue Mountain,

It looks like you already have a lot of synonymous terms. What is the context you want for your desired synonym?

Best regards,
WW

P.S. Thanks for bringing up this topic. I never even knew the term "steel deck"--and now, when I look at bridges, I have a term for what I'm seeing. Not to mention the guts of the Queen Mary and other ships!

Posted By: wwh Re: Steel Deck - 07/14/02 10:08 PM
The old grinch says: Remember if you have a steel deck, be estra careful about
any electrical appliances there. Outlets ought to be ground fault protected.

Posted By: hev Re: Steel Deck - 07/17/02 03:59 AM
WELCOME Blue Mountains - are you indeed from the Blue Mts?

Glad to have you aBoard! Not that I can help you with your query...

Posted By: stales Re: Steel Deck - 07/20/02 07:26 AM
Blue Mountains

What I (and other Aussies) would call "chequer (US "checker") plate" is often used in commercial or residential applications - especially if the residence is going for a latter day industrial theme. In stainless steel this stuff looks good.

The material used for safety treads in metal stairs and cat walks is known as "expanded plate".

Hope this helps.

(By the way, do you take your nick from the elevated hills west of Sydney or the location in Jamaica?)

stales

Posted By: Blue Mountains Re: Steel Deck - 07/21/02 02:35 AM
Thanks for all your contributions.

Yes - I come from the mountains west of Sydney, Australia.