Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Rosebud To come or to go???? - 06/22/02 01:30 PM
I am a writer and should know words, but I find myself frequently
> confused about the uses of emigrate and immigrate. Of course, I read
> the definitions in my dictionary, but remain befuddled at times. For
> example, if I am speaking about a person moving into new mental or emotional territory,
> would I say: She emigrated into new territory. OR She immigrated to new
> territory, OR WHAT??? Your opinion would be appreciated! The Rumpled Rose

Posted By: Geoff Re: To come or to go???? - 06/22/02 01:46 PM
Just to add to your confusion, the planning and population statisitcs types use the term, "in-migration" to connote (or is that denote - you're not the only one confused around here!) those who move from one place to another within a state or geographic boundary. Perhaps, since the context of your example is within the character's own head, this relatively new coinage would fit.

Posted By: wwh Re: To come or to go???? - 06/22/02 01:59 PM
Dear Rosebud: emigrate means to leave a country, immigrate means to enter a country. To go from one mental area to another is merely to migrate, to change from one place to another. But migrate means a
rather long journey. A change in pattern of thought might be more like a move on a chess board, or upstairs and downstairs in a house.

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: To come or to go???? - 06/25/02 05:53 AM
emigrate means to leave a country, immigrate means to enter a country

But then, Dr Bill, are both these sentences right?

"I am emigrating to Australia."

"I am immigrating to Australia."

- or should you only say, "I immigrated to Australia," once you have emigrated?!

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.
Posted By: FishonaBike Coming or Going? - 06/25/02 01:56 PM
Hmmm - if we have Rosebud do we also have a Citizen Kane somewhere?

or should you only say, "I immigrated to Australia," once you have emigrated
I believe so, MG.
Basically it depends which end you're looking from. As far as people from your motherland are concerned, you will always have emigrated. As far as people from your new country are concerned, you will always have immigrated.

Personal opinion, Rosebud - neither word feels quite right for a significant change of mental state. Bill's suggestion of migrate, although it feels better to start with, implies quite a long process, and also an eventual return. Perhaps not what you want either.

Having said which, I've no better suggestions!

However, I'm reminded of a wise friend's comment:
A change in attitude refreshes the parts a change in lifestyle cannot reach

© Wordsmith.org