Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind Instrumental Bloviations and Falderol - 02/21/02 01:26 PM
There are some pretty interesting terms associated with instruments. I only play a few instruments, but I like coming across terms that trip off the lips--terms associated with their structure .

I list a few here and wonder whether those of you who either play or like learning about instruments may have some to add?

Bee sting or bee's sting: If you look at a fine violin--at its purfling (which is another great term: the little black line that traces the edges of the body), sometimes at the places that come to points, the purfling or the black inlaid lines jot out a bit like a tail. That's called the bee sting.

swell pedal OK. You're sitting at big organ and you want the sound to swell up and get louder! So, right under your feet you'll see these rectangle shaped pedals sticking right up at an angle, kind of like gas pedals, only larger. Those are swell pedals, usually two on big organs, but sometimes just one. They're swell!

shell This is pretty cool, too. You know those kettle drums that are just so grand? Well, the kettle part is called the shell.

There's a lot of cool terms associated with instruments, but I'll wait and see whether you all have any that you know that you like, too.

Best regards,
WordWacky

bell just the place where the sound comes out in a wind instrument--but I like thinking about that bell's being there.

Posted By: Geoff Re: Instrumental Bloviations and Falderol - 02/21/02 02:19 PM
Despite what bloviate means, I associate it with cattle generating methane. Well, considering what politicians do, I'm not too far off the mark, am I?

Fipple flits freely from the lips.

Posted By: Bean Re: Instrumental Bloviations and Falderol - 02/21/02 03:04 PM
I don't even play guitar (bass, yes), but I love how the names of the major parts also have other, non-musical meanings: body, neck, headstock, nut, bridge, pots.

Plus I love that there are words for every single part of the guitar, so you never have to say "Oh, the thingie that holds the little bits is broken": tuning pegs, machine heads, fretboard, frets, truss rod, pickups, jack, whammy bar (tremolo bar), pickguard, capo (OK, not strictly part of the guitar).

Maybe someone can help - what is the name of the "thingies" where you attach your strap on a guitar (at the bottom, and on one of the horns)? There are locking versions of them to keep the guitar/bass from jumping out of your hands when the strap wriggles its way off. My husband and I have been having this discussion for months with no positive outcome.

Also, my husband works in a guitar factory. I like to tell him, when he's frustrated with work, "not to fret" , and point out that the guitars pass through two European countries in production: "Finnish [sic] sanding" and "Polish-ing". Har-de-har-har.

Bean,

DK publishes a wonderful little visual dictionary which answers that question ( I think...) and many more! I gave it to Faldage for Christmas and we keep it by the computer so we can sound edjumicated when we post here. (I'm not really here, she said, returning to work)

Posted By: Bean Re: Instrumental Bloviations and Falderol - 02/21/02 03:58 PM
DK

Dear AnnaS,
In my house DK = Donkey Kong. You know, the big fella who throws barrels at the little Italian plumbers. I didn't know he was into book publishing!

P. S. What bugs me most is that I think I once knew the word, and it's gone now.

Only one of my two resident guitars has those little nobs. My classical guitar (which doesn't) often tells my Ibanez electric that it'll get its come-uppance one of these days, but the Ibanez just tries to stick it to the Aria. They're not very good friends at all, and don't even like the same music ...

He's a little high-strung your husband, eh Bean :-)

With regard to musical terms - I've said them before and I'll say them again ...
acciaccatura (ornamental note) and
appogiatura (embellishing note or 'lean on' note).

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Donkey Kong aside - 02/21/02 10:58 PM
Here you go:

Dorling Kindersley publishers, ISBN 07894-28741.

http://www.dk.com/store_select.asp

Check it out on amazon.com, too....

High strung!? I think not. I'm a bassist, so i'm actually between B three octaves below middle C, and E(41Hz), A, D, G. Don't go NEAR the G-string!! It might pop! But only if i'm feeling funky.

As for the question that Bean posed, I believe that the strap for a guitar attaches to what is called a button.

Posted By: hev Re: Instrumental Bloviations and Falderol - 02/22/02 03:43 AM
High strung!? I think not. I'm a bassist,

So, Nordic Norm is Bean's husband? Well, whoever you are: WELCOME! We Aussies love Norm. He was an icon of Australian Culture for a long period of time (possibly showing my age here) I'm thinking that Nordic Norm would have to be wearing a little more than our Norm's stubbies and a singlet though ...

Hev
Posted By: stales WELCOME NORDIC NORM - 02/22/02 05:11 AM
Greetings NN - by which you will henceforth be known nae doot.

I hope you realise that we don't let just any old dag into this place!! You are special!

stales

PS - Seen the sun lately? Lot of white stuff to be seen at a webcam near you - and bugger all else. Good name for a webcam too - OZFM - we haven't even got that station name here.

Posted By: Bean Re: WELCOME NORDIC NORM - 02/22/02 12:37 PM
Lot of white stuff to be seen at a webcam near you - and bugger all else.

Well, at least the white stuff is fog, and not snow. You don't have to shovel fog!!!!

Posted By: stales Re: Instrumental Bloviations and Falderol - 02/22/02 02:34 PM
> Despite what bloviate means, I associate it with cattle generating methane

You mean like "hoof farted"?

stales

Here's an interesting link about instruments.

http://www.uc.edu/news/daapmus.htm

[self-promotion e]

Posted By: Faldage Re: Donkey Kong aside - 02/22/02 07:20 PM
Check it out on amazon.com

And then buy it from your local independent bookseller.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Donkey Kong aside - 02/22/02 07:28 PM

wearing a little more than
our Norm's stubbies and a singlet though

Yes, I am indeed, and thank you for the warm welcome. I've got to read the FAQ to get these little emoticons going better. I'm sure that my editor in chief (guess who Bean ) will help me get along here.

I'm curious though. I think I understand the stubbies part (being beer bottles...I hope) but who is Norm?

NN

Posted By: Nordic Norm Re: WELCOME NORDIC NORM - 02/23/02 02:07 AM
I hope you realise that we don't let just any old dag into this place!! You are special!

Thanks! But, I am a little worried though that you Aussies and New Zealanders might get the wrong impression about my parents, so I'll just say now, I was named after Dag Hammerskjold, the Swedish diplomat and SG of the UN...not the...ummm...other...little...things.

NN

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/23/02 03:37 AM
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Instrumental Bloviations and Falderol - 02/23/02 03:54 AM
Or Norm, the heavy-set heaving-drinking regular on the American television sit-com CHEERS. Tell me NN, how do you feel about beer?

O frabjous day! BY makes his triumphant return. Must have been the hell of a vacation. Great to see you posting again.

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: WELCOME NORDIC NORM - 02/23/02 04:10 AM
And a cordial, if belated, welcome to NNorm. Any friend, s.o., spouse, or whatever of Bean's is always welcome here!

Posted By: hev Re: Life. Be in it - 02/23/02 08:21 AM
>Who is Norm?

I suspect the reference was to Norman Gunston

Wrong-O and thanks for trying, but ... 'twas not he to whom I referred. Norm was part of an advertising campaign quite a few years ago to get people more involved in LIFE and exercising. Norm spent a lot of his time sitting on the lounge, staring at the television drinking beer. Fine example of an Aussie male . For a look at Norm, go to this site: http://www.lifebeinit.com/Info_sheet1a.html

Hev
Posted By: hev Re: Norm and stubbies - 02/23/02 08:29 AM
I think I understand the stubbies part (being beer bottles...I hope) but who is Norm?

YOU ARE .. ha ha! OK, the Norm I refer to is as described in my reply to Max Q who attempted to step in on behalf of the absent Aussies, but sadly, got it wrong... Nice try, Max!

Stubbies .. ah now there's a good question. Yes, a stubby can be a beer (but I don't think Norm would be wearing such a thing ) but in this case Stubbies was (is?) a brand name of short shorts which were very popular in the eighties. Not very popular now ...

Hev
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Norm and stubbies - 02/23/02 10:02 AM
I've got two dozen stubbies in the fridge (not that they're called that here) and, to my eternal shame, at least one pair of Stubbies in my drawer ... but, let me hasten to add, I don't wear them!

Wellybro Kiwi

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: The Striner Norm ... - 02/23/02 10:05 AM
... but on the other hand ...

Norman Gunston, the very zenith of Australian cultural sophistication and elegance.

'On yer, Maxie!

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Life. Be in it - 02/23/02 03:10 PM
Interesting list of suggestions on that link, hev.

Here's the list, and my reactions:

· Walk two flights of stairs. Check. I must go up and down about 20 flights a day.
· Go for a walk in the morning or after work. Check. Just getting from my parking space to my office is a hike.
· Do some stretching whilst you are on the phone. What? Now I have to start making phone calls for fitness?
· Walk to the shops, bank and Post Office rather than driving. Hmmmm. Six or seven miles to any shop, bank or post office, and then six or seven miles back. Where do I get the spare four hours?
· Eat a piece of fresh fruit. 'Kay.
· Park the car further from work and walk the rest of the way. Ha! Further? You carry all the paperwork, files, lunches, shoes, and pop, then.
· Take the family for a stroll around some gardens. And the person paying for the destruction to the gardens is....?
· Try an early morning (or evening) jog in the park. What park?
· Visit your local swimming pool and take a dip. 'Kay. Only three more months until the water thaws.
· Try a new activity such as golf or cycling - for a change. Golf???? Can't I clean toilets instead?
· Take up yoga or tai chi for relaxation. The only thing I need to obtain relaxation is a babysitter willing to take in.
· Get up 10 minutes earlier and try some meditation. Rouse yourself out of preciously rare sleep, to induce yourself into another state of sleep? Who wrote this?
· Take a drive to the country and go walking. That would be me, coming home and chasing the kids.
· Substitute some of your regular coffee with decaffeinated. You'll get my caffeine when you pry it out of my cold, dead, but jittery hands.
· Play frisbee in the park with friends or your kids. Again, what's this park?
· Go for a swim after work. But first, I have to break a hole in the ice with an axe. Got an axe?
· Get together with your friends for a game of soccer, tennis or badminton. Snow soccer! Now both boring and dangerous!
· Go for a twenty-minute walk everyday. Is this in addition to all the other walks and jogs? Who edited this?
· Try a variety of activities to get fitter such as walking, swimming, light jogging or tennis. Again with the walking, swimming, jogging and tennis.
· Find an exercise tape you like and one that feels right for you and exercise at home. Whatever the weather outside, you'll then be able to do regular exercise. Here's my exercise routine: chase the kids; chase the dog; pick up toys; mop up spills; sweep; dust; mop; vacuum; scrub. It's not "regular;" it's constant.
· Consider taking up a weight resistance program, such as Strong Women Stay Young. 'Life. Be in it' can advise you on these programs. I've been trying to resist weight all my life.

Posted By: Bean Re: Norm and stubbies - 02/24/02 02:17 AM
Re: stubbies: US and Canadian beer no longer comes in stubbies. Canadian beer used to. They now come in longer-necked bottles.

The equivalent fitness program in Canada was Participaction. Cheesy, cheesy name. Good concept. They used to run ads called "Body Break" which sounded a bit like the list Sparteye has above. It's been canned due to lack of funding (what else is new?).

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/24/02 05:57 AM
Posted By: Jackie Re: WELCOME NORDIC NORM - 02/24/02 12:09 PM
Welcome indeed, Nordstrom-I-mean-Normster...whoever you are! Thank you for sharing your lovely better half with us all this time--and now, I guess we'll get [da dah da DA-AHHHHHH] "The Rest of the Story"...

Sparteye, your responses were hilarious!

Max--whatever you updated, it didn't show up on my Gallery1, or 4 either for that matter, even when I hit Refresh. (Did I miss 2 & 3, by the way?)

Posted By: wow Re: Long life latest news - 02/24/02 02:19 PM
Oh, Sparteye how well I remember those days. ROFL.

On the up-side, in TV program "Sunday Morning" today, was a piece on folks who are 100 or more years old... not one was an excerciser! (Hurrah! I've never see runners smiling, have you?)
Doctors specializing in gerentology have discovered the long lived are mentally active (Surely that's you) ... non-smokers (I am quittin') ...have interests or hobby outside the home (law as a hobby? Interesting concept!)... like people (we are here aren't we) ... and have a happy-go-lucky attitude (tra la)
Most are of "lean" build (o, well can't have everything!)
So there you go ... Send the kids to their friends' houses, sit down, put your feet up and !

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Long life latest news - 02/24/02 04:46 PM
Oh dag nabbit Wow, I had it down up to the lean build too. Woman of womanly proportions unite !!

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/24/02 06:14 PM
Posted By: Jackie Re: WELCOME NORDIC NORM - 02/24/02 08:39 PM
That's what I was looking for, Max...OH! Just found it--you meant what my Favorites have listed as the Group Gallery! Ok, got it, and hey, there are pictures I haven't seen before! Coo-ool! What a lovely surprise!

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/24/02 09:23 PM
Posted By: Jackie Re: WELCOME NORDIC NORM - 02/24/02 09:59 PM
Now, Max, you cut that sighing out, or I'll tickle your ribs till you don't have enough breath left to sigh with! On MY Gallery 1, the new label isn't there, even when I hit Refresh. My last picture there and on G 4 is of maverick. When I decided to try the Group Gallery, I found that the individual pictures had magically appeared in the fore of the group ones, and that's where I saw the R & L, plus the two additions (grin!) after mav's.

Posted By: hev Re: The Striner Norm ... - 02/24/02 10:04 PM
... but on the other hand ...

Norman Gunston, the very zenith of Australian cultural sophistication and elegance.

Ah yes, another fine example of the Australian Male! Any wonder there's so many Oz women choosing to stay single.

Hev
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/24/02 10:37 PM
Posted By: musick Re: WELCOME NORDIC NORM - 02/27/02 07:35 PM
...as likely as CapK voting Labour.

Don't make me make another joke about CapK's picture... I still haven't lived the first one *down!