Wordsmith.org
Posted By: pieman Stepford - 10/26/01 06:14 PM
Can any one tell me anything about the word "Stepford".
It is used in the following sentence:
"There's a meanness and cynicism rampant, and fresh air is needed. Besides, your job is just as much at risk if you join the ranks of the Stepford librarians by remaining silent."
I believe it might have something to do with a movie called The Stepford Wives. But what does it mean exactly?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Stepford - 10/26/01 06:57 PM
the movie in turn stems from a satirical sf novel wherein the Stepford (CN) Wives are computerized android duplicates. the finale shows the robot wives drifting like the living dead around a vast supermarket and swapping recipes.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Stepford - 10/27/01 12:50 AM
...swapping recipes.
Then they joined this board, guised as Durians...
Now, there's something that would make a fearsome jack o'lantern! [shudder]

Posted By: MELT Re: Stepford - 10/27/01 03:10 AM
Wrong, Tsuwn, The screenplay "Stepford Wives" has an ignoble end for the men.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Stepford - 10/27/01 04:03 AM
?? must be thinking of the execrable Revenge of the Stepford Wives

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Stepford - 10/27/01 05:18 PM
Hmmm. Women. Computers. Food. That sounds familiar ... lemmee think. Ah, yes! Well, helloooooo Helen! Now I understand so many things. We have a Stepford Wife in our midst! Ooooo, goody! I just luuuurve mysteries being cleared up!

Posted By: paulb Re: Stepford wives - 10/28/01 11:19 AM
Hi Pieman:

Can't help you with the meaning of Stepford, but I can provide some brief quotes about the film, courtesy of Halliwell:

"It was hard to tell Katharine Ross playing a robot from Katharine Ross playing a normal housewife." (Les Keyser, Hollywood in the seventies)

"The first women's lib gothic -- hardly the landmark the world had been waiting for." (the late Pauline Kael, New Yorker)

© Wordsmith.org