Wordsmith.org
Is there a word for mistaking left from right (and vice versa)?
Dyslexic? Welcome aBoard.
Dyslexia is an inability to recognize and comprehend written words. There may be some problems with distinguishing left from right but it's not a prime meaning of the word. I think we need another candidate.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: bilateral symmetrical anomia - 11/04/09 02:40 PM
The only term I could find is right-left confusion, which makes immediate sense and is easier to remember than some Graeco-Latinate neologism. I also found a discussion (in the context of autism / aspergers) but only of the condition and solutions not terminology. I did find a whole slew of neurological disorders terms, though: e.g., anomia, agraphia, alexia, (I already knew of dyslexia and aphasia).
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: bilateral symmetrical anomia - 11/04/09 03:03 PM
searching for anomia brought up some fun old threads. good times.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: bilateral symmetrical anomia - 11/04/09 07:08 PM
Dave that's really a good question and one I have long wondered about though I don't have the patience to search through

http://onelook.com/?w=*&loc=revfp2&clue=right-left+confusion
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: bilateral symmetrical anomia - 11/04/09 07:38 PM
though I think the hyphen in that search algorithm probably excludes "left", no?
Posted By: dalehileman Re: bilateral symmetrical anomia - 11/05/09 05:55 PM
Aha, that's news to me, Buff, then I presume OneLook must consider the hyphen as a minus sign. I am mystified by the digital world and all its algorithmic convolutions but thanks for warning me, I shall desist from the practice
Posted By: Faldage Re: bilateral symmetrical anomia - 11/06/09 10:59 AM
I know it does in, say, Google, but only if there's a space in front of it. If it is between two words it's supposed to restrict the search to looking for instances where the two words are right next to each other.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: bilateral symmetrical anomia - 11/07/09 02:49 PM
good thought, Faldage, perhaps dale will test it.
Posted By: Faldage Re: bilateral symmetrical anomia - 11/07/09 07:17 PM
I checked it out. Onelook treats the hyphen as just another character. A search for -ology gave me hits for -ology.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: bilateral symmetrical anomia - 11/07/09 08:55 PM
interesting. thanks for the speedy leg work, dash.
Posted By: doc_comfort Re: bilateral symmetrical anomia - 11/09/09 02:29 AM
Left-right agnosia
Posted By: Faldage Re: bilateral symmetrical anomia - 11/09/09 11:32 AM
Aww, c'mon, doc. Doncha have some faincy Greek way of saying the 'left-right' part? I mean, if you don't like mixing Greek and Latin roots you could call it levo-dextro agnosia but that's sure to raise the hackles of some of those famous grammar zombies.
Posted By: BranShea Re: bilateral symmetrical anomia - 11/09/09 11:50 AM
Originally Posted By: doc_comfort
Left-right agnosia
laugh Somehow this evoques an image of an army marching out of tune.
© Wordsmith.org