Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Farmer jury-rigged jerry-rigged - 01/09/09 12:13 AM
Anyone know how to spell this word?
Posted By: Faldage Re: jury-rigged jerry-rigged - 01/09/09 02:04 AM
Jury-rigged
Posted By: PastorVon Re: jury-rigged jerry-rigged - 01/09/09 05:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Farmer
Anyone know how to spell this word?

Faldage is correct. The correct word (or phrase) is jury-rigged. However, jerry-built is a proper term. The two terms have different connotations. When something is named as jerry-built, the connotation is negative, suggesting something that is carelessly or cheaply done. Jury-rigged, however, having naval origins refers to something done positively in order to correct a deficiency caused by an emergency or damage: as for example stepping a spar to replace a part of a broken mast.

Now, however, there was another term that is no longer politically correct. It combined the "n-word" with rigged to indicate something that might have been sloppily done but could at the same time have been well-intended. The phrase might blend the implications of jury rigged and jerry-built.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: jury-rigged jerry-rigged - 01/09/09 06:12 PM

Hence the need for bailing wire and duct tape!
Posted By: Faldage Re: jury-rigged jerry-rigged - 01/10/09 01:38 AM
The two terms, jury-rigged and jerry-built, do have some overlap in connotations, but the main thrust of jerry-built is that it is slapped together with little concern for reliability and the main thrust of jury-rigged is that it is put together with whatever is avaiable.
Posted By: The Pook Re: jury-rigged jerry-rigged - 01/10/09 03:20 AM
Where does the term Jerry-built come from? Is it from the English Tom & Jerry shop (a second hand shop), or is it pejorative of Germans in World War One?
Posted By: Faldage Re: jury-rigged jerry-rigged - 01/10/09 01:36 PM
Originally Posted By: The Pook
Where does the term Jerry-built come from? Is it from the English Tom & Jerry shop (a second hand shop), or is it pejorative of Germans in World War One?

It's mentioned in my link above for jury rigged. Dave Wilton says it's unknown.
Posted By: The Pook Re: jury-rigged jerry-rigged - 01/12/09 12:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Originally Posted By: The Pook

It's mentioned in my link above for jury rigged. Dave Wilton says it's unknown.

Thanks, didn't look at that earlier. That at least definitively answers one half of my question - it obviously has nothing to do with anti-German sentiment since it dates to at least 1869. I suspect the Tom and Jerry shop connection.
Posted By: Berkeley Re: jury-rigged jerry-rigged - 01/12/09 01:19 PM
That would be "baling wire" as in wire for baling hay.
Posted By: The Pook Re: jury-rigged jerry-rigged - 01/13/09 07:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Luke
Hence the need for bailing wire and duct tape!

Originally Posted By: Berkeley
That would be "baling wire" as in wire for baling hay.

Yes it's related to baited breath. Luke has an extra 'i' lurking somewhere on his keyboard! laugh

...except these days hay is baled by means of green plastic.
© Wordsmith.org