Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dalehileman put the hammers to the sword - 02/18/06 11:26 PM
Fulham Football Club The 21-year-old then put the Hammers to the sword himself midway through the second half when he converted a fast break with a powerful right foot shot that ...
www.fulhamfc.com/Football_ West_Ham_v_Fulham_501164_7.html

I assume this means to buckle down, but since I'm not a sport enthusiast, and because Hammers is in cap., can I assume it's the name of a team and that the above report is also a pun
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: put the hammers to the sword - 02/19/06 01:00 AM
You may so assume, Dale. Just out of curiosity, how the heck did this come to your attention?
Posted By: Faldage Re: put the hammers to the sword - 02/19/06 01:11 PM
While "put the Hammers to the sword" seems only to exist in this particular citation (the Hammers would seem to be obviously a reference to the West Ham United Football Club) the expression "put x to the sword" seems to be common enough. Sword would be the instrument dealing out the punishment and not the recipient, an honour which belongs to x.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: put the hammers to the sword - 02/19/06 04:17 PM
Ted: I believe I heard it on one of the Law and Order programs

Fal, thank you; so it would seem. However, the expression "put the hammers to" is apparently pretty obscure as it evokes only 8 significant hits
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: put the hammers to the sword - 02/19/06 04:21 PM
then there's "put the hammer down"...
Posted By: Faldage Re: put the hammers to the sword - 02/19/06 06:06 PM
Quote:

it evokes only 8 significant hits

Six of which are references to West Ham United FC and the other two some rap reference.
© Wordsmith.org