Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve candlescape - 01/09/06 02:07 AM
Now that the Feast of the Epiphany has come and gone, today was the day to dedecorate the house (854 Google hits) or undecorate the house (12,500 Google hits) or take down the Christmas decorations (937 Google hits). As my beautiful bride packed away one beautiful Christmas object after another, she paused to admire an arrangement of candles which she had made on a transparent red-glass plate, which candles were then surrounded with small blown-glass Christmas balls, of the sort normally hung on the tree. She said to me, "I hate to distrurb this candlescape."

"Candlescape?" thought I. Whatever can that mean? It must be a word because it produces 9,090 Google hits, which is more than either "dedecorate" or "take down the Christmas decorations."
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: candlescape - 01/09/06 02:12 AM
it's nice. I like it.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: candlescape - 01/09/06 10:30 AM
Yes. There's also the term "tablescape," which I haven't decided whether I like or not. Yet.
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: candlescape - 01/09/06 01:42 PM
I like the sound of "candlescape", too. Perhaps a nonce-word. I can see the term "scape" appended to all kinds of things from sheer verbal laziness, so perhaps I should whisper my approval, no?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: candlescape - 01/09/06 01:48 PM
> appended

well, mindscape and soundscape come quickly to mind as usages that are common.

guess I'll escape now...
Posted By: tsuwm Re: candlescape - 01/09/06 03:06 PM
timescape , etc.
© Wordsmith.org