Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belligerentyouth subrogation? - 12/01/05 11:38 AM
Okay legalese experts, I'm looking for a term for what (for example) an artist does when they sign over their 'name' in an agreement to an agency who represents them. Is the above term relevant or is that only for insurance and credit cases? Is it perhaps some kind of transfer of rights or conferment? Thanks.
Posted By: maverick Re: approx on all your houses - 12/01/05 12:36 PM
Isn't it proxyship, granting a power of attorney in legal terms?
Posted By: Logwood Re: approx on all your houses - 12/01/05 02:25 PM
I think that's just "proxy", and "proxyship" being the office of a proxy (?)
Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: approx on all your houses - 12/01/05 02:28 PM
> proxyship

That may be one term used for it, esp. with regard to allowing an attorney to act on your behalf. I've since found the phrases 'ceding/hand over legal rights', or simply 'transfer of rights' quite often, so I assume these are correct phrasings and there isn't necessarily a single word for the kind of representation I meant.
Posted By: Marianna Re: approx on all your houses - 12/01/05 02:48 PM
Ceding had occurred to me too, but isn't it a bit more final than you meant with your example? I get the impression of "ceding the rights" being permanent rather than temporary. Am I going all wrong with this?
Posted By: Jackie Re: approx on all your houses - 12/01/05 04:32 PM
I was thinking right of proprietorship. Then I went to read Bill Watterson's intro. to his "Calvin and Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book"; he uses the term licensing. P'raps it depends on what the specific contract says?
© Wordsmith.org