Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Logwood Someone who speaks irrelevantly - 11/26/05 09:23 PM
Is there a single word for (noun) "someone who speaks irrelevantly"?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Someone who speaks irrelevantly - 11/26/05 09:34 PM
must resist temptation...
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Someone who speaks irrelevantly - 11/26/05 10:37 PM
Eta ~

If you are not good, Santa will put a lump of coal in your stocking.
Posted By: Father Steve Atoning for flip comment to eta - 11/26/05 10:47 PM
blabbermouth -- not precisely it, as this carries the sense of not keeping confidences.

gasbag -- still not precisely it, as this carries the sense of self-importance.

loquacious -- close but not it, as this can mean talkative without being irrelevant.

garrulous -- this might be it.

circumloqutious -- close, but carries the sense of talking all around a subject on purpose, whereas the irrelevant talker does not necessary seek to avoid direct speech.

Oops, the last three are not nouns. Oh, well.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Someone who speaks irrelevantly - 11/26/05 11:24 PM
Prattler? You may have stumbled upon another of those concepts for which there's no word
Posted By: maverick Re: Someone who speaks irrelevantly - 11/27/05 12:31 AM
Blatherskite.
Posted By: Logwood Re: Someone who speaks irrelevantly - 11/27/05 01:31 AM
Blatherskite does come close, but none of them quite hits the nail on the head. Most of the aforementioned terms basically mean "talkative", which does not necessarily mean the person at question speaks irrelevantly, just that he/she speaks a lot.

Never heard of gasbag! is that slang?
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Someone who speaks irrelevantly - 11/27/05 01:44 AM
One of Merriam's defs for prattle is meaningless or empty talk; not a perfect fit but close
Posted By: maverick Re: Someone who speaks irrelevantly - 11/27/05 01:57 AM
I still think blatherskite is exactly what you asked for.

Blather means to talk nonsensically (from the root word suggesting 'blowing' etc - see ref below), and skite comes from a ME word for diarrhoea from an ancient Norse word meaning shit, so a blatherskite is someone who literally talks a load of uncontrolled meaningless crap.

blather

SYLLABICATION: blath·er
PRONUNCIATION: blthr
VARIANT FORMS: also bleth·er (blth-)
INTRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: blath·ered, blath·er·ing, blath·ers
To talk nonsensically.
NOUN: Nonsensical talk.
ETYMOLOGY: Old Norse bladhra. See bhl- in Appendix I.
OTHER FORMS: blather·er —NOUN

~ copyright American Heritage

AH bladder
Posted By: Logwood Re: Someone who speaks irrelevantly - 11/27/05 02:06 AM
Well, it does mean someone who talks nonsense, or empty talk; but it doesn't mean there's a topic at hand and that the person talks irrelevantly (i.e. nothing pertaining to the topic)?
Posted By: maverick Re: Someone who speaks irrelevantly - 11/27/05 02:25 AM
Wouldn't your definition of relevance to a discussion include as a key point that the contribution be on topic and controlled? But maybe I just haven't quite grasped the nuance of what was in your mind with the question.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Someone who speaks irrelevantly - 11/27/05 03:06 AM
it seems to me that what's wanted is a word like spammer, but with a broader application.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Someone who speaks irrelevantly - 11/27/05 03:42 AM
nonsequitorator.
Posted By: Logwood Re: Someone who speaks irrelevantly - 11/27/05 12:04 PM
What tsuwm said.

nonsequitorator? I tried three dictionaries but no avail
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Someone who speaks irrelevantly - 11/27/05 12:32 PM
I'm not surprised, Logwood.

Try non sequitur.
Posted By: maverick Re: Someone who speaks irrelevantly - 11/27/05 01:41 PM
> nonsequitorator

Spammer ~ yes, I can now see the difference being got at - someone might be speaking other than nonsense yet be following only their own agenda rather than contributing to a dialogue.

How about bloviorator, suggested by my brother's neologism?

And btw Logwood, since you like browsing dictionaries have you discovered the rich treasures of tsuwm's project?

Ron Obvious
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: agentifying sequor - 11/27/05 04:01 PM
Latin sequitur is the third person singular present indicative of the deponent verb sequor 'to follow' (hence non sequitur means literally 'it does not follow'). Nomina agentis are usually formed on the the past passive particple form of the verb, e.g., amo 'to love' (actually literally 'I love') has a past passive particple of amatum 'loved', add the nomen agentis suffix and you get amator 'lover' (whence our amateur via French). Deponent verbs are verbs that are passive in construction, e.g., amatur 's/he is loved', but active in meaning, e.g., sequitur means 's/he follows', not 's/he is followed'. There is though a term secutor in Latin which means follower, so you could say something like nonsecutor, which in colloquial English has the unfortune to sound like non sequitur. Plus, that you can't really use non as a prefix. Or that the form should be more like 'a person who says non sequitur'. I think you'd need a word more like the Greek barbaros 'stammerer, barbarian, somebody who can't speak Greek properly'. There are some verbs in Latin that mean prattle, and you might form nomina agentis with them: e.g., crepo 'to creak, rattle; prattle' > crepitor (though the danger with this one is that it could be interpreted as 'farter'), adblatero 'to prattle, chatter' > adblaterator (cf. balteratus 'babbling, prating'), argutor 'to prattle' > argutator (though this has an established meaning of 'subtle disputant').
Posted By: Owlbow irreverent - 11/28/05 01:38 PM
This may be irrelevant, but we had a teacher in 6th grade, Sister Teresa Barnard (TB), who often said, "Empty barrels make the most noise."
Posted By: Jackie Re: Someone who speaks irrelevantly - 11/28/05 02:40 PM
Here's a list; perhaps one of these will do:
list
Posted By: Logwood Re: Someone who speaks irrelevantly - 11/28/05 02:47 PM
Heh fascinating list. I should've gave the Reverse Dictionary a try, but I underestimated its quality. Also, I just realized that we're all anglophones.
Posted By: musick Re: Someone who speaks irrelevantly - 11/28/05 06:57 PM
'Tis somewhat *sequential that "prophet" is first on that list.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Someone who speaks irrelevantly - 11/28/05 07:00 PM
> 'Tis somewhat *sequential that "prophet" is first on that list.

he said, irreverently.
Posted By: maverick Re: a profit in his own land - 11/29/05 01:09 AM
Quote:

> 'Tis somewhat *sequential that "prophet" is first on that list.

he said, irreverently.

It's the American Way, he said revelatorily
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: a profit in his own land - 11/29/05 01:19 AM
have I got a Job for you....
Posted By: maverick Re: a profit in his own land - 11/29/05 01:33 AM
can't stand around in macs waiting for the rain...
Posted By: finfia Re: a profit in his own land - 11/30/05 05:22 AM
How about this, as at least a fine example thereof : candidate.

And, come to think of it, if the irrelevance is purposeful (another bag of wordworms), try "obfuscator".
I understand that neither of these address the irrelevance, the whole irrelevance, and nothing but the irrelevance. This topic just goes to show you what a delightful spectrum of irrelevant response awaits your every conversation!
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: irrelevant weaving - 11/30/05 01:04 PM
Quote:

I understand that neither of these address the irrelevance, the whole irrelevance, and nothing but the irrelevance. This topic just goes to show you what a delightful spectrum of irrelevant response awaits your every conversation!

Yes! Stick around and post your nonsequito/urian irrevelances too, even proactively, should you wish!
Posted By: Jackie Re: a profit in his own hand - 11/30/05 02:25 PM
can't stand around in macs
You could write a book.
© Wordsmith.org