Wordsmith.org
Posted By: johnjohn labanotation - 10/02/02 08:36 AM
My copyright professor always taught this as "Laban notation" ( - as opposed to Blenisch notation). (Yes, they're both protected by copyright). Anyone confirm if Anu's version is definitely right?
jj

Posted By: tsuwm Re: labanotation - 10/02/02 02:05 PM
it's rendered as such in MWCD and AHD, among others.

Posted By: johnjohn Re: labanotation - 10/03/02 12:36 PM
Well it must be true. (Even though its dead illogical, being an eponym from Rudolph Laban...it should at least be Labannotation..)

Posted By: jmh Re: labanotation - 10/04/02 06:40 AM
>"Laban notation" "Labanotation"

I tend to agree with you johnjohn - I looked up the UK Laban Centre http://www.laban.org/ and ended up here:

Founded in 1985 and located at the University of Surrey in Guildford, the Labanotation Institute is the European centre for the promotion and development of Labanotation and Laban Movement Analysis. The Labanotation Institute houses an extensive library of labanotated dance scores offers training in Labanotation and Laban Movement Analysis from introductory through to professional level (including the granting of a Professional Diploma) reconstructs and notates works in Labanotation provides a registry of professional notators, liaises with other organisations and institutions in the provision of resources for the teaching of Labanotation and dance maintains links with Labanotation centres world-wide and publishes a newsletter (Action! Recording!) and a technical journal (The Labanotator) discussing the developments in the field.
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/Dance/General/Laban.html

so it looks as if Anu was right

Posted By: wofahulicodoc how do you spell "back-formation"? - 10/04/02 06:37 PM
Did they really say "liaises"? [shudder-e]

Posted By: Faldage Re: how do you spell "back-formation"? - 10/04/02 07:46 PM
M-W lists 1928 as the date it entered the language. And, yes. it is a back-formation.

M-W also defines it as to establish liaison but I think it goes beyond that, including maintaining that liaison. It's short and to the point and doesn't confuse.

Posted By: jmh Re: how do you spell "back-formation"? - 10/07/02 06:59 AM
Backformation

Is the verb "to liaise" unusual then? I thought that it was pretty ordinary - am I missing something or have I just spent too long working in Quangos?

Posted By: Faldage Re: how do you spell "back-formation"? - 10/07/02 09:13 AM
Is the verb "to liaise" unusual then?

It's a favorite of those who would not allow short words where whole phrases would do. Mostly those who complain don't seem to understand the full application of liaise. It's on the TVR Worst Words list.

© Wordsmith.org