Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm shlump - 03/29/08 04:06 PM
Anu declaims: From Yiddish shlumperdik; I recently used shlumperdik and gave the derivation as being from shlump. it's probly indeterminate, given the source.

on a related note, I read somewhere recently that the "sch" often given for transliteration of words like shlump, shnook, shnorrer isn't best.

-joe bfstplk
Posted By: twosleepy Re: shlump - 03/29/08 04:14 PM
Schlumperdinck wrote some beautiful music, you know, like Schansel and Schgretel ;0)
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: shlump - 03/29/08 04:26 PM
transliteration

Yes, but at this point it's pretty well established in many words that have been naturalized. I tend to use the YIVO romanization scheme (link). It's the most widely used academically and lexicographically.

[Addendum: Looking 'round the YIVO site, I see that they have published a complete English translation of Max Weinreich's masterful History of the Yiddish Language. For anybody interested in Yiddish linguistics it's a must-have. Now I know what I want for nitl.]
Posted By: of troy Re: shlump - 03/29/08 08:39 PM
I did a favor for a boss, and he wanted to tip me..

i didn't want to be comp'd with money.. (i didn't want to have the favor be considered something i did for money..i happened to like the guy and wanted to do a kindness..)

he was surpried --but then asked how he could repay the kindness..

i picked up the History of the Yidish Language, and told him he could give me the book.. he was surprises, but i got the book!
© Wordsmith.org