Email: (garg AT wordsmith.org)
Author, speaker, engineer. More than 16 years in computer software and networks at AT&T Labs and others; Founded Wordsmith.org, and continuing its successful run for the last 21 years -- more than 300,000 subscribers; Invited speaker to conferences, radio, and TV; Author of three bestseller books; Bachelor's and master's degrees in computer science.
- Founder, Chief, Wordsmith.org. [Mar 1994 - ]
Wordsmith.org is an online community of wordlovers in some 200 countries.
- Internet Consultant, AT&T Labs. [May 1996 - Nov 2002]
Design and architecture of web related projects.
- Senior Staff Specialist, MCI. [Jun 1995 - Apr 1996]
Involved in design and testing of web related projects. Provided technical advice in issues related to Internet commerce and electronic publishing. Performed stress testing of servers based on probabilistic model. Involved in coding and testing of modules for web site hosting. [Unix, Perl, CGI, HTML]
- Programmer (part-time), CWRU. [Feb 1994 - Dec 1994]
Designed a Musical Scores Browser to achieve integration of scores, analyses and performances with a graphical user interface. The authoring part of this software lets one design modules integrating different components of music. This software is used by music students to study musical scores, audio performances and their analyses concurrently. [MS Windows, C++]
- Database Programmer (part-time), Cleveland Clinic Foundation. [Jun 1992 - Jan 1994]
Designed database applications for analyzing patient financial data. This application works as a data mining tool by making the mainframe data available to analysts for identifying trends and patterns. The visual querying interface uses SQL queries to access the database. [DOS, FoxPro, C]
- Research Engineer, Centre for Development of Telematics. [Sep 1990 - Aug 1991]
Designed processes in the C-DoT digital telephone exchange to monitor and isolate faults, and reconfigure the telephone exchange for high availability. Handled the full life-cycle of the process including debugging and documentation. [Unix, C]
- Systems Engineer, Instrumentation Ltd. [Aug 1988 - Jul 1990]
Developed and implemented real-time system designs for control automation of Bhilai Steel Plant. Designed graphical interfaces for dynamic process information display. Developed customized real-time routines for process log reports. Provided customer training. [DCS, P-BASIC]
- Case Western Reserve University.
MS, Computer Science, Jan 1995.
- Harcourt Butler Technological Institute.
B.Tech., Computer Science, May 1988.
- Languages: Perl, Java, C/C++, Pascal, Fortran, Prolog, Basic, 80x86, SQL, awk.
- OS/Environments: Linux, Unix, Solaris, HP-UX, Windows.
- Databases: FoxPro, dBase, Paradox, SQL.
- Hardware: PC, Sun, RS/6000, Vax, Mac.
- Authored three bestseller books about the joy of language and words.
- Designed wordserver and other services from Wordsmith.org; used by more than a million people in 200 countries.
- Contributor to several national computer magazines. Over a dozen publications to credit, including a program and a science fiction.
- Authored MathWorld - a math software based on National Council of Mathematics Teachers (NCTM) recommendations.
- Served as freelance correspondent for IEEE Institute.
- Conducted a workshop for Cleveland area High School math teachers on "Using Computers in Effective Instruction of Math."
- Winner of Cool Applet of the Week award by SUG JAVA SIG (Sun Users Group JAVA Special Interest Group), cool applet nomination by Gamelan.
- Attended course in Advanced Java Programming by Sun Microsystems.
- Attended training in search engine technology by OpenText Corp.